Garden Harvest - Ready for Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
Tomato Juice
Jalapeno Jelly
Zuchinni Relish
Salsa

Attachments

• 2011-08-12_21-57-03_264.jpg
    2011-08-12_21-57-03_264.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 400
Firewood isn't the only thing like money in the bank around here. Nice work. How much to you can vs freeze?

SolarAndWood said:
Firewood isn't the only thing like money in the bank around here. Nice work. How much to you can vs freeze?

We probably only can about 25%. This was our first attempt at canning. We have a lot of brocolli, okra, tomatoes, peppers, apple stuff, and zuchinni in the freezer. We normally freeze green beans but they didn't produce very well this year.

Me made some pickles too.

We are probably going to end up around there too. My wife used to can everything but freezing saves a lot of time.

Zucchini Relish I want that recipe!

I'll take the tomato juice. You can have the rest.

My wife also used to do lots of canning but I finally broke her of that and most things are frozen now. However, things like the tomato juice is still best canned as are a few other things. We still can meat too and that is great; especially venison.

I got into canning myself this year, here are some bar clams I put away this spring, ended up with 33 bottles. Tides are on again next month and hope for another 30 or so bottles. These are so good!

DSCN0160.JPG

It's hard work doing it, but so satisfying.

Processing and storing your harvest is one of the best things you can ever do.

Every bottle opened is a reminder of summer days.

And you can have that smug feeling when you just look at your store ;-)

[quote author="lukem" date="1313251014] This was our first attempt at canning. We have a lot of brocolli, okra, tomatoes, peppers, apple stuff, and zuchinni in the freezer. We normally freeze green beans but they didn't produce very well this year.[/quote]

We salt our beans, they taste better than frozen.

And I made a rack for drying apple rings under the wood stove last year.

Must get a picture of them when we start drying them..... :)

fespo said:
Zucchini Relish I want that recipe also. Thanks

Just made 5 quarts...I would say its just like sauerkraut. Good stuff.

smokinjay said:
fespo said:
Zucchini Relish I want that recipe also. Thanks

Just made 5 quarts...I would say its just like sauerkraut. Good stuff.

My recipe is really sweet...good on brats, dogs, in potato salad, and in deviled eggs.

Dinner time! More zuccini, okra, and peppers ready for storage in my stomach.

Attachments

• 2011-08-18_17-24-58_273.jpg
    2011-08-18_17-24-58_273.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.