Garn Biocide?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Yankee

Feb 25, 2008
Swamps of RI
Hi,
My neighbor with a Garn says that they now recommend the use of a biocide in the boiler to prevent bacterial corrosion, but defers to "your water chemistry expert" to recommend one.

My manual (2007) states to run the boiler once a month in the off-season to kill off any bacteria. We've been doing this religiously but would rather not... with all the politcal b/s surrounding boilers in town, we prefer to be selective when we burn in the summer...picking rainy nights just in case the OWB police are sniffing around the neighborhood. ;)

Anyone familiar with 'biocides' and have used an appropriate product? Any drawbacks to using this vs just keep burning once a month?

Thanks!

I don't think that's 100% correct. I suggest you do one of two things. Post you question on Garn's forum (www.garn.com) and/or PM me for a phone contact for the company who does Garns treatment program. He knows what he's talking about. From my limited experience and knowledge of bacterial corrosion, it's not all that common.

Status
Not open for further replies.