Garn refurbishment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Bob
I have a later 1500 and NO mortar is used to my knowledge. The firebrick are just sitting on ht fabric pads in mine. The ash can pack into the open joints and may harden up to make you think it’s something else. Look at the on line parts at the web site for more info. I have also locally sourced the two sizes of firebrick used but make sure they’re high temp brick. Check the Garn web site as there was a memo on the subject out there from Martin.
Dan

Thank you, Dan. You are correct. I was confused by the residue left behind when I removed the deteriorating firebricks along the sides of the firebox. I installed my Garn in 2008. It has been a real money saver for us. We have sixty acres on the Palmer Divide in Colorado. Half of the ground is in old growth Ponderosa pine. We harvest the majority of our firewood from our own woods. The entire place was put up by just the two of us over a number of years… we taught school by day and built at night.

How did the inside of that unit look? I'm thinking about picking up a used 1500 about the same age. Worry about corrosion and how many years I might truly get out of it.

Bucky, everything looked pretty good. I only had one concern of any note. I will be sending a picture of that to Martin at Garn today. It is one pit on the top of the final combustion area. If get a chance I will put it up here.

This is the only pitting that I found to be problematic.This is on the top of the combustion chamber on the back of the firebox. The steel here is 3/16 ths of an inch. This chamber has a new 3/4" ceramic fiber liner on the inside to protect the metal from heat. I am guessing combustion temps inside this chamber are in excess of 2000 degrees. But the water on the inside does not boil at this location and so the temps have to be 200+ degrees, if that. I did not discover this until my final rinse as this is where my muck covered feet land when I get into the boiler and it only showed at the last moment. I am going to try and get a precise measurement of the depth of the pit but I am guessing it to be 1/16" at best. Weld it? JB Weld it? Forget it as I have a new super duper chemical treatment for rust? I am all ears.
IMG_0268.jpg

This is the only pitting that I found to be problematic.This is on the top of the combustion chamber on the back of the firebox. The steel here is 3/16 ths of an inch. This chamber has a new 3/4" ceramic fiber liner on the inside to protect the metal from heat. I am guessing combustion temps inside this chamber are in excess of 2000 degrees. But the water on the inside does not boil at this location and so the temps have to be 200+ degrees, if that. I did not discover this until my final rinse as this is where my muck covered feet land when I get into the boiler and it only showed at the last moment. I am going to try and get a precise measurement of the depth of the pit but I am guessing it to be 1/16" at best. Weld it? JB Weld it? Forget it as I have a new super duper chemical treatment for rust? I am all ears.
View attachment 287700
This spot is actually only about 3" x 2"

Robert, if you are a good welder or have someone that is I think it makes the most sense to weld a plate over top of that. If nothing else it is great peace of mind. The folks at Garn Can get you a piece of steel with the exact curvature. I had severe pitting in the bottom of my unit and had about 20 ft.² of steel weld it in. I sleep much better knowing that all the questionable areas have been addressed

This spot is actually only about 3" x 2"
I have attached a picture of my Filterloop. It draws from the front drain and returns through the top of the tank. There is an existing plug there. After a complete refurbish I change the filter twice and I now run at about five psi on the low pump setting. I’m going to change the filter cartridge again once it warms up enough that I can let the temperature drop in the tank. One thing I haven’t done yet which I need to do is to “mouse“ the drain stopcock. I have brushed it with my foot once and let some water out. I threw in a couple pictures of my boiler room just because :)

A4CBE6E0-4351-4467-8C02-E45130421041.jpeg 766B372E-A9F3-46DE-BC8E-68EF027B6B42.jpeg 5ACCC03A-37D4-4972-92AC-D2E78BE5FF98.jpeg

Did not know exactly what that was so I looked it up and I found a 2010 information on it...Just thought that I would paste it on here although you people who use this I am sure know a lot more about it but maybe you can gather a little information that maybe you did not know or review what exactly you do know..I found out about what it is anyway so decided to share this 2010 information which has pretty pictures, clancey

Did not know exactly what that was so I looked it up and I found a 2010 information on it...Just thought that I would paste it on here although you people who use this I am sure know a lot more about it but maybe you can gather a little information that maybe you did not know or review what exactly you do know..I found out about what it is anyway so decided to share this 2010 information which has pretty pictures, clancey
I didn’t know what it was when I first saw it too! And that was after I bought the house…

Reactions: clancey