Q&A Gas fireplace selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Have just completed construction of a 3 season, insulated porch, size 14x18 with sloping ceiling- peak at 14' sloping to 8' . BTU calc comes out at about under 10k. Would like to add a gas fireplace, propane, direct vent (horizontal) to place on outside wall under a window with 39' sill height. Question - Is this feasible? Can you suggest vendors that supply small units that I can install. I would like to build my own mantle as well.

Answer:

THere are a number of units that vent at this height or lower. Heat n Glo comes to mind as one the would have some smaller units. The only concern is the fact that many units must terminate a certain distance from a openable window. Perhaps your windows do not open. Even if they do, you might be able to get around this one by extending the pipe out a bit after going through the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.