Gas stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

livefreeordie

Nov 21, 2010
Rochester, NH
I noticed that when i light the stove the flame in no longer blue, its orange. Does anybody know what would cause this?? Whirlpool Accubake, the stove is two years old.

Thanks everybody

Attachments

• 100_3032.jpg
    100_3032.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 341
  • 100_3031.jpg
    100_3031.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 368
looks to me like it's starved for primary combustion air.
Any way you can post a schematic of the burner system?
It may be as simple as an air shutter adjustment...

DAKSY said:
looks to me like it's starved for primary combustion air.
Any way you can post a schematic of the burner system?
It may be as simple as an air shutter adjustment...

I will see if the owners manual has anything i can post. I was thinking the jets are dirty but it seems odd they would all go at the same time.

No luck with the manual, i'll have to shut the gas off and poke around the inards and see what i can find.

Do all burner burn this color or was there a recent spillover on that burner(s)? If it is just that burner, my guess it the burner got junk into it. Pull the grate, pull the burner cap and clean thoroughly.

If this is doesn't clear up after a minute or two, open a nearby window or door. If that changes the color of the flame there is a danger of increase CO or low O2 in the room. Find out the cause and leave a window cracked open.

BeGreen said:
Do all burner burn this color or was there a recent spillover on that burner(s)? If it is just that burner, my guess it the burner got junk into it. Pull the grate, pull the burner cap and clean thoroughly.

All the burners burn the same orange color.

OK, I found the owners manual Mod.# XFG374LVS 1 all it tells me is the flame should be blue. lol no kidding. I'll call the gas company first to see if they were working on the lines, maybe that will explain the dirty flame. If the gas company says no work then its a call to a repair guy.

I tried the above link with no luck it looks like Whirlpool doesn't make their stuff available on line.

Do all the burners have a common air inlet? Maybe a critter built a web in it… I'd take a look at the burners and their air tubes.
Are your neighbors having the same problem? That would be the gas itself if they are.

Do the top covers of the burners come off at all? I was having the same issue with two of mine, flame got smaller and yellow over time. Turned out to be the main orifice was semi plugged from spills. I used a pointed wooden skewer to re-open the orifice, works like new now. Maybe not the issue if all 4 are bad, but maybe worth checking too?

Czech said:
Do the top covers of the burners come off at all? I was having the same issue with two of mine, flame got smaller and yellow over time. Turned out to be the main orifice was semi plugged from spills. I used a pointed wooden skewer to re-open the orifice, works like new now. Maybe not the issue if all 4 are bad, but maybe worth checking too?

Great idea, thought about that but all five burners went at the same time.

Update

After cleaning the jets and anything else i could think of i still had the orange flame. To keep it short and simple i pulled the stove away from the back wall about two inches and now it works great. The stove was starving for air.

Status
Not open for further replies.