Gas Stove question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulm

Jul 4, 2006
We are going to put a gas stove in a new sunroom we are building. We are thinking of putting tounge-in-grove pine on the wall that the stove will sit in front of. Is having wood so close to the stove a problem?

Thanks for any advice.

paulm said:
We are going to put a gas stove in a new sunroom we are building. We are thinking of putting tounge-in-grove pine on the wall that the stove will sit in front of. Is having wood so close to the stove a problem?

Thanks for any advice.

It is really going to depend on the stove and the installation. You need to look at the manuals for the stoves you are interested in. Most are available online on the manufacturer's web sites.

With a mid-size 40,000 btu stove like the Jotul GF 400 Direct Vent the manual, which is what your inspector will look at, calls for two inches of clearance from the stove to combustible surfaces behind it. Three inches of clearance to combustibles on the sides. Personally I wouldn't put any heater that close to a wall. If for nothing more than the drying effect the heat has on the paneling.

Thanks for the reply BrotherBart. Would we have to be less concerned if it was sheet rock that was behind the stove?

paulm said:
Thanks for the reply BrotherBart. Would we have to be less concerned if it was sheet rock that was behind the stove?

From other posts I have seen here sheetrock is considered combustible. Somebody more in the know will weigh in soon with better info on that than I can give you.

Brother B is correct Drywall/ blueboard has a paper face which is considered combustiable. The distance to combustiables make little differance what the material is. The vgrove pine is the same as drywall. There is no penalty for exceeding the minium distance ,just a larger safety margine

Status
Not open for further replies.