Gas Supply

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Giles

Burning Hunk
Nov 25, 2011
N.W. Alabama
I plan to install a freestanding Martin fireplace heater in my livingroom. It's BTUS are 24K---40K Natural gas.
The 3/4 supply line enters my basement and transitions into a 1/2" within about 3" foot. The heater will be installed upstairs with a total run of 21".
I would like to use 1/2" or 3/8" black iron pipe but It would be MUCH simplier to make this run with 3/8" copper.
Would this be acceptable?

Check your local codes. Copper pipe is a no no in my state. For Natural gas.

When they installed my Allagash in my fireplace, the gas line ran in the basement under the fireplace and they just tapped into it and ran 3/8" copper tubing to the stove through a small hole they drilled in the fireplace. Run was 2'. But as Fake coal burner said, check local code.

Working with black iron pipe is easy. Sounds like you need two 10' pieces of 1/2" and a +or- 12" nipple. A drip leg is required by code and is easily made with black iron. BI also lends stiffness, impact resistance, and support to the run.

Ehouse

Status
Not open for further replies.