Gas vs. Electric Splitter--my thoughts on using both

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Bought the Ryobi 5-ton electric splitter two years ago. Bought the Yard Machines 25-ton gas splitter three weeks ago.

Some initial reactions:

Power: obviously, the electric can't hold a candle to the gas. In reality, though, there were very few pieces I couldn't split with the electric. It's good to know I can split anything with the gas, though.

Portability: although the gas has wheels (and now a wheeled tongue) the electric is far more portable--assuming you have access to a good cord and power outlet.

Cycle time: I'm sure some gas versions are quicker than mine, but between the Ryobi and Yard Machines, there's not much difference in speed. Partially, this is because the electric has a shorter stroke. When using the same stroke length, they're about the same.

'Stopability': One of my pet peeves with the electric was that it would always return home at the end of a cycle, unless there was another operator. This was a pain.

One-person operation: What I like most about the gas is that I can start and stop the ram when I want, which makes it much easier for one person and much quicker as a whole--since I always buck my wood to 18", that's all I need for a range.

Flexibility: though I've used only the horizontal position, there have been pieces in the past that I've thrown out either because they were too heavy to pick up or because I knew my electric wouldn't split 'em. With the vertical option, this is not an issue.

Maintenance: Gas = another engine, hydraulic fluid, hoses, wheels, gas, oil, etc. Electric: plug 'n play. I think this is the only real category the electric wins.

S

PS If any of y'all have other thoughts, I'd like to hear them.

I've fallen in pretty serious like with the big electric option this past year. All the advantages of electric you mention with some oomph.

Attachments

• right side splitter.jpg
    right side splitter.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 615
Given where I use mine, electric is not an option. I'd much rather deal with filling the gas tank and changing the oil than stringing out and wrapping up the cord. My splitter doesn't stay out overnight.

As for short stroking, I got that beat with my mod.

100_0345.jpg

See second signature line below for my opinion.

Dune said:
You got pictures ofyours dune and did you come up with the plans your self?

oldspark said:
Dune said:
You got pictures ofyours dune and did you come up with the plans your self?

Splitter is enjoying a retrofit at the moment. I will put up some pictures when she is back in one piece.

Didn't need plans, hooked up an electric-hydraulic power pack to an exixting splitter. Am in the process of upgrading power pack.

As I read the first post I was thinking to myself why not just run electrohydraulic? You could run an electric motor to operate a hydraulic pump just as well as a gas motor...in the end its all just spinning an output shaft to drive a pump or mechanism. Just need to find a big enough motor.

Dune, does your electric motor run all the time or just while cycling the ram?

How do the regular 4-5 ton electric splitters work? Worm drive turns a big threaded shaft to push the log?

mayhem said:
How do the regular 4-5 ton electric splitters work? Worm drive turns a big threaded shaft to push the log?

Hydro pump is direct-drive off the motor. It's kind of a self-contained hydraulic system being how there ae no external hoses.

6-7 firewood cords/year for a long long time (along with other $$$ cutting).

No more gas splitters (sold), now a older DR 5 ton splitter that does close to 90% of the butts.

Why?

1. Yes, "plug and play". Split for 10 minutes or an hour....anytime.
2. Moves around easily.....split in a cellar, garage.
3. No smell, no smoke, no CO2.
4. Noise. Noise====none, nada.
5. Maintenance: except for some hydraulic fluid 1x/year, none.
6. That +/- 10% the electric won't do, gives the body some workout. You do need it, don't you ?
7. 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of any gas splitter.
8. I can lsten to NPR , Glenn Beck, or sing :roll: .
8. Stores small and simple.
9. "Don need no stinkin' macho gas splitter" :coolsmile:
and finally # 10. What's your hurry ? Gas is faster but not that much. Add in the fuel, oil changes, smell, noise, plug(s), carb abjustments, cost; time......................

fjord,
I think you captured a sentiment I hadn't: that the electric is a somewhat more 'leisurely' approach to splitting whereas the gas is 'work.' Although, I do like playing with toys, which makes my new gas splitter fun!

S

mayhem said:
As I read the first post I was thinking to myself why not just run electrohydraulic? You could run an electric motor to operate a hydraulic pump just as well as a gas motor...in the end its all just spinning an output shaft to drive a pump or mechanism. Just need to find a big enough motor.

Dune, does your electric motor run all the time or just while cycling the ram?

Yes, it runs all the time, but remember that the amp draw unloaded is small.

thinkxingu said:
fjord,
I think you captured a sentiment I hadn't: that the electric is a somewhat more 'leisurely' approach to splitting whereas the gas is 'work.' Although, I do like playing with toys, which makes my new gas splitter fun!

S
Ja, I'm with Tim "the Tool Man" Taylor. Bigger, badder, faster, louder! Electric start would be nice though instead of recoil.

I have the 5hp Taskforce and at best, it's for casual splitting. I split a little over a cord with it and only had a few problems with big stuff. I'm sure there are electric splitters that will keep up with gas, but you will pay more for these. Where this 5hp bad boy comes in handy is in the garage during the burn season. It makes easy work of re-splits in a snap.

Attachments

• task forse.jpg
    task forse.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 428
It's all Gestault. Uppity German psychiatric for "lifestyle".
We've done the deal with both big gas and tiny electric. The aesthetic advantage
of the electric (and net cost) is a plus ....for us. Net time used is a wash when you include fuel, maintenance,
storage, starting, plugs, towing, oil for gas splitters.
Besides, I like my own singing. :red:

You guys running the conversions, are you going with a 5hp motor or are you getting by with something smaller. I can certainly see the attraction if the electric is handy to the splitter.

I see Stejus mentioned 5hp taskforce, I think he meant 5ton 5hp should be able to put out tonnage equal to a standard gas model

Stejus,
You might be losing some power with that 1/2 mile extension cord!

S

speaking of conversions, can you convert an electric to a gas powered?

Danno77 said:
speaking of conversions, can you convert an electric to a gas powered?

I don't think you would want to go that route, most electric are so small that if you were going to have the hassle of a gas engine you might as well have the capacity to go with it. Also I'm guessing the torque of the electric is maxed out, so you would need a significantly bigger gas to do the same job.

If I remember right, Solar has a 5hp compressor motor and Dune is putting in a real 10hp electric, but my guess is that you'd get away with a real 2-3hp electric to replace a gas splitter engine, or even 1hp if it was a 1,800rpm instead of 3,600, at half the speed of course.

you said Kinda what i expected. the other answer I expected was someone to suggest a generator to power an electric, which would be a roundabout way to get a gas engine to power it.

thinkxingu said:
Stejus,

S

Yeah, little though. This is a 75 ft run. The cord is a 12 gauge 300V cord. I was told not to go any further with the cord. It did the job when I used it.

benjamin said:
If I remember right, Solar has a 5hp compressor motor

5hp 220V 15A 3400 RPM with off the shelf 16gpm Haldex pump. I have tripped the breaker about a half dozen times in 30 cord. Ramsplitter uses a 3hp with an 11 gpm pump.

stejus said:
thinkxingu said:
Stejus,

S

Yeah, little though. This is a 75 ft run. The cord is a 12 gauge 300V cord. I was told not to go any further with the cord. It did the job when I used it.

My experience was quite different. Going from a 14 ga to a 12 ga to a 10 ga was quite significant. Measure the DCR of your splitter's motor and you'll see why. It's very low. And the AC impedance at 60Hz isn't much higher. And so any series resistance in the wire is going to act as both a current limiter and voltage divider against such a low-impedance load. The closer you can get to the transformer on the street, the more power your splitter will have.

The ohms/foot of 12 ga wire is 42% higher than 10 ga.

I use 100ft of 10ga without a problem or any noticeable heat on the cable even after running 4 hours straight on the big stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.