Gasifier with Storage Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

navyinak

Sep 4, 2008
Juneau, AK
Wow! What a resource! I was just pointed to this website and MAN this is the place. I learned more about gasification in the last week than I knew about for years prior.

My problem is trying to narrow my search down! I am looking to install a gasifier in Juneau Alaska with storage. My house will be a log structure over the ICF walkout basement with approximately 3600 square feet. I plan on slab heating, and using stringers on top of the subfloor to put radiant in the upstairs as well. The area between the stringers will be filled with dry-mixed concrete. As stated, I am building the foundation with ICF blocks, and would like to incorporate a heat storage tank into the foundation under my arctic entry. My plan thus far, is to add extra insulation within the ICF "box" under the entry area, and put in a sealed liner with a vent. The arctic entry above is 6x12, so I will have a 5x11 or so box to work with that can be as high as I want.

I am looking for input from folks with gasifiers that have storage. How much is enough? I can run the calculations for BTu per hour and gallons required to store the appropriate BTU's, but what I would like to hear from you guys is what you have, and would you do it different. Also, I read a lot about creosote buildup due to idling boilers, and running the boiler full out with storage seems to be the panacea. How many of you actually operate that way?
So to recap the questions:

How much storage do YOU have?
How would you do it different?
How do you operate your stove?
How often do you operate your stove?

And you can call me names for being an idealist if you want. I have been operating under the presumption (from a slick boiler salesman no doubt) that I should be able to load the stove once daily burn full throttle, and store the heat for use during the remainder of the 24 hours, given that the stove and the tank are sized correctly. If I am off base, I need to know now, before I go spending a bunch of bucks on a system that won't work. I will continue to search the forums, and apologize for asking you to repeat something you may have already posted. If there is a post out there in particular anyone wants to point me to, I would be grateful.

I am looking forward to NOT paying $5.57 per gallon of heating oil. Even electric is starting to look good up here!

Seems like you're on the right track. I run exactly as you say - full throttle, charge up the storage, then live off storage for the balance of the 24 hours.

I have about 3500 square feet in Vermont. I burn an average of 6 to 7 hours per day, usually starting late afternoon. On a really cold day, I may need to burn 12 hours. That works out, because the storage won't last as long and doesn't have to.

On sunny days, I can sometimes skip a day, especially during 'shoulder' seasons.

I have an EKO 25 which is rated at 80,000 btu/hr. In actual practice, it delivers an average that's closer to 60,000 btu/hr. I have an 880 gallon storage tank which I wish was 1200 gallons to give me a little extra reserve. I use baseboards at present, and I'm adding a radiant zone under the main floor.

Glad you made it here JC. I too have found the folks that post and the search function of this site very helpful.

We seem to be on parallel courses...log home, ICF foundation, dry concrete for the underfloor heat sink, storage in the arctic entry and of course, a gasifier with storage. I've just started building my system and have no operational experience, but from this site and the experience of others, here are my anticipated answers to your questions:

How much storage do YOU have? 1,000 gallons pressurized
How would you do it different? Haven't made the mistakes yet...time will tell!
How do you operate your stove? One fire daily for the average winter day (~6 hour burn)
How often do you operate your stove? Daily in winter (3 fires in two days during cold snaps) and one fire weekly in summer for DHW

Check out the AKWarm program to help estimate energy use, and to design energy efficiency into your house. It's at http://www.absn.com/akwarm.cfm I was able to use this program to evaluate the cost and benefit of different options for our house elements (i.e. manufactured trusses with 20 inches of fiberglass vs. 16" I-joists with a combination of fiberglass and foam). I set out to get a 5 star plus log home and it took some effort but we made it. At the time the interest rate from AHFC was 1% below prime for 5 star plus.

Finally, we build 2,400 sq ft for a family of three, soon to be four. I've been regretting having to heat the whole house (the daylight basement is finished but we haven't been using it except when guests come for a while). I suppose when the girls are older, I'll be thankful for the extra space, but for now it seems a little excessive. No better way to be fuel efficient than by not having the space to heat.

DC

How much storage do YOU have? 530 gallons pressurized
How would you do it different? Bigger is better.More tank volume,Bigger boiler,More insulation in the tank
How do you operate your stove? I put some fine wood in the bottom of the fire place.ignite some newsprint on it.Let it burn fore some minutes.then I fill the boiler.It burns for 3-4 hours.That usual is enough.The tank reaches 210 Fahrenheit.I start the boiler when the tank is 90 Fahrenheit.
How often do you operate your stove? One fire daily when the temperature is below 14 Fahrenheit.In the summer one fire week.

I have 1200 sq ft living area in 3 floors.

Some pictures on the installation here.
http://picasaweb.google.se/725hansson/Panrumsbilder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS07SjsUTw0 The boiler in action :)

John Cooper said:
I am looking for input from folks with gasifiers that have storage.

I have 1200 pressurized gallons. Works well for me but I'm in a much more temperate environment than others.
Put boiler room closer to the house. Maybe even attached with an entry from house.
How do you operate your stove?
Kindling over nozzle. Paper on top. Light it. Load small splits on bottom, big splits on top.
How often do you operate your stove?
Every other day for moderate overnight temps (30 or higher). Once per day in the evening when its cold (30 or below overnight). Big fire if we are expecting cold weather (0-15 deg overnight). Thats cold for us. Normal fire lasts four hours. Big fire maybe 6.

1000 gal LP tank installed with boiler in the space to be heated. If you can do this, you save lots of otherwise wasted heat.

Have a bigger space for boiler and tank; boiler and especially tank take up a lot of room

How do you operate your stove?[b/]
Load and burn full-out; may not load full as outside temps rise

How often do you operate your stove?[b/]
Usually one burn load (4-7 hrs) day (10-30F0; more often two loads as the temp stats moving well below 0F; one load every 2-whatever days as the temp rises above 30

Status
Not open for further replies.