Gasifying wood furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burn-1

Feeling the Heat
Jul 13, 2006
Lakes Region, NH
FWIW I found this 'gasifying' furnace while looking at wood sauna stoves.

Kuuma Vaporfire

The price isn't too steep, computer controlled combustion and American made. It might be a good option for those that can't go the hydronic or radiant route.

That is pretty cool, Burn-1. Thanks for posting the link.

I've always wondered about gasification furnaces. Seems it would be easy to do, but you have to deal with some pretty hot temps. I'll have to check that out and see how they handle it.

Very interesting; heats 2600 sqr feet. I wonder what the "to the house" efficiency is like compared to boilers. Anyone know? I am going to email/call them for more info. j

I guess heat storage would be the interesting part. I can't think of how you'd do that, but there probably is a way--maybe with some sort of refractory mass. Probably not built into the furnace.

Does anybody know anything about the testing lab, http://www.pfscorporation.com/public/, that these Kuuma Gasification Stoves use? I haven't heard of them and when I go to the website I didn't find much about stoves?

I see they are made in Tower Mn. Cant think of a better place to test the product, other than Alaska. Tower holds the state low temp at -60 back in 1996. And overall is one of the coldest place in the state on a regurlar basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.