gasket material

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turbotech

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2010
NE
What is the proper name of the white felt gasket material used on stoves for sealing the fans? I would like to buy a sheet of it and make some gaskets, but I am not sure what it is called. I have some FelPro Pro-Romic which high temperature, but I would like to use the factory material. I guess it is called fiberglass cloth? http://www.shield-sealing.com/Fiberglass-Cloth-70.html

Actually, this looks more like what is needed. http://www.ceramicfiberonline.com/ShowCatelog.php?cid=12
The 1/8" thick would probably be the right stuff. Just need to find it in smaller quantities.

This might be it for small quantities (1' square x 1/8" thick):
http://www.slumpys.com/SlumpysStore...r_Papers_37VGH2714VGH175VGH175VGH3VGH175.aspx

I did an update to the initial post. I added a link to some Fiberfrax ceramic paper that can be bought in 1' squares. Seems like a better solution than paying $10-20 for a pre-cut gasket. For some gaskets I can fit 2 of them to a 1' square.

That is a good question, I too was wondering what is used for the fire pot gasket on the Quadra fire Mt. Vernon AE. I would like to buy some to make my own instead of paying $25 every time i remove the pot to replace springs etc.

Thanks for the info about the LyTherm. It is 2300* capable like the FIberfrax 550. The Fiberfrax seems easier to obtain and is also used in woodstoves, kilns, etc.

The gasket appears to just be an Aluminosilicate material. Several manufacturers make it. Standard grade is 2300*.

What I found online is mostly by the roll. A 100' x 2' x 1/8" roll is about $250 online. You could cut about 200 pieces of 1'x1' squares. Add in loss of 10 % and it is 180 pieces. Charge $10 for them and the profit is $1800 - $250 - operating cost = $1,550 - operating cost!
I will dig some more later for low quantity. So far I found $4.38/square of 1' x 1', but they have a $75 min order. The link is posted above.

Anyone try using exhaust gasket material from an autoparts store??

Wood Heat Stoves said:
typically it is called lytherm

google "lytherm gasket"

at least one vendor i know sells it by the foot for odd gasket jobs
Dave, is that what is used for the Mt. Vernon burn pot gasket?

kofkorn said:
Anyone try using exhaust gasket material from an autoparts store??

I have Fel-Pro Pro-ramic exhaust gasket material. Yes, you could use it in terms of temperature, but it doesn't conform as easily as the ceramic fiber gasket material. I have yet to try using the Pro-ramic gasket, but others have reported success.

I tried some ceramic gasket material from McMasterCarr, and it was soooooo brittle , I wasted $20.00 , as it crumbled away. Auto parts store would not sell me any muffler gasket material after they heard what I was intending on using it on, Called Eric at Kinsman Stoves and ordered the right kind . A lot of headaches avoided if I would of done that in the first place. Maybe an extra round of golf would of been inorder if I had that $20.00 back.

buildingmaint said:
I tried some ceramic gasket material from McMasterCarr, and it was soooooo brittle , I wasted $20.00 , as it crumbled away. Auto parts store would not sell me any muffler gasket material after they heard what I was intending on using it on, Called Eric at Kinsman Stoves and ordered the right kind . A lot of headaches avoided if I would of done that in the first place. Maybe an extra round of golf would of been inorder if I had that $20.00 back.

Yes, use the appropriate ceramic fiber gasket or something equivalent. With what you described for the gasket you bought I would be worried about meeting the temperature rating and being dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.