gasket - need adhesive?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
The Oslo has reversible 45 flue outlet and I am switching it from horizontal to vertical. While I have that collar off, I have great access to shopvac the top of the baffle, etc. My question is this – the rope gasket (between stove and collar) is in great shape but loose - to reinstall properly can i just set it carefully in it’s channel, or is an adhesive required?

I agree with Woody. The gasket cement is very low cost and it is best to do it right.

Pretty sure my stove came through with a loose gasket that just sit there in the channel. That said . . . a little adhesive can't hurt things, but I suspect you would be fine either way.

Pretty sure my stove came through with a loose gasket that just sit there in the channel. That said . . . a little adhesive can't hurt things, but I suspect you would be fine either way.

Actually . . . now that I've thought about it . . . I almost think the gasket had a sticky back after you've removed a paper strip from it.

Disregard my other advice . . . go with the adhesive to be on the safe side.

Status
Not open for further replies.