Gasket Source for Oil Boilers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
Its looking like I waited too late in the season to get the company that cleaned my oil boiler last year to do it this year. I only ran about 300 gallons through it since last cleaned so it really doesnt need a tune up, but past experience is that the heat exchanger does need cleaning ever year. I have the appropriate brush and have done it before, but when it was cleaned last year the new contractor mentioned that the reason the efficiency was a bit low was that the gaskets on the top plate and burner gun were missing and deteriorated. If I open it up this year, I would like to have something on hand just in case the existing gaskets are rough. I dont know what he put back in, but the old stuff looked like asbestos gaskets used to look like before they were banned. Bascially about a 3/4" very thin gasket made up of coarse fibers woven like burlap with some sort of gray material in the weave.

I expect I could probably use refractory cement, but would definitely like some suggestions. I dont have a lot of supply houses int he area so online sources are probably what I am looking for.

As a side note, many of the Northern New Hampshire regional oil suppliers have been bought out over the years and have gotten rid of their service departments or the quality of the techs have gotten poor. The reason I switched suppliers two years ago was that the service tech for Irving Oil insisted that there was no need to pull the burner to clean the unit and rather he cleaned the combustion chamber through the gun port by pulling the burner head and required a call back to fix a slow leak that doused the burner motor with fuel oil. When I had the new contractor work on it, he showed me that the entire refractory target on the back wall of the combustion chamber was mostly missing and had been for awhile. I dont mind paying for service but I sure dont like paying for bad service.

I hear you about the buyouts and the spotty service from the big oil sellers. My new strategy is to find a company devoted to heating only and shop around for the lowest cash price for oil. I just got the tank topped off today (2.599/gal best I could do) and the new heating co. is coming out day after tomorrow. It might be a little more than the oil company, but as you say, it could be worth it. I hope it works out like it looks like it worked out for you.

I've told myself the past several years that I'm going to learn how to do some maintenance on the boiler, but somehow I never got around to it. I think it's because the summers are busy.

Sorry I can't help you on your main question.

What model/year is your boiler? What burner are you using? Is it a rope-type gasket or a thin board type?

I hear you when it comes to techs. I don't think its so much bad techs, but new techs are taught different. Its impossible to tune an oversized boiler in a house that's micro-zoned with no real mass and no chance to get above a 5 minute cycle time unless its below 20F. The tech who tuned my boiler 3 Summers ago left me with a 600 degree stack temp. He said he's never had a problem leaving it hot, but when he tries to "save the customer a few pennies" he gets calls.

The boiler is a crown bahama with a beckett AFG. Its definitely not rope gasket, its a flat thin ribbon gasket. I leave it cold most of the summer and them cold start it for spring and fall, so it gets beat on. It did have a problem with late fires early on (apparently a defect on AFG burner retention heads of a certain vintage, eventually an old time tech modified it and it has been a good unit for 22 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.