Gassifier Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass Heat

Feb 16, 2012
Southern Mass
Planning to go with an Outdoor gasser. My town requires a plot plan by a registered land surveyor and low and behold the proposed site I was going to use doesn't meet the boundaries. 50' to the property line and 150' to the neighbors house. In addition, I have wetlands that can't be distubed. This eliminates the existing shed, concrete slab and leaves me with limited options. I'm considering placing the unit adjacent to the house and running a pipe up the wall to clear the smoke away from the house. Anyone have a similar set-up? Does anyone see this creating a problem? I was originally planning to place the unit 50' away, but it falls on wetlands. The town doesn't restrict the proximity or the chimney height. Local Empyre dealer doesn't anticipate any performance problems.

I'm glad I don't have people telling me what I can and can not do. I live in the country with only one close neighbor and the township is not zoned. :p Of course I can't disturb a wet land, but who is to say a wood burner would disturb it and who would Know.

Many indoor gassers have long chimneys, often Class A, 20-30 feet in height. You might want to check with your insurance company on the placement question. Sorry, JT, can't endorse wetland violations.

About time for another Revolution in Taxachewsetts?

Many indoor gassers have long chimneys, often Class A, 20-30 feet in height. You might want to check with your insurance company on the placement question. Sorry, JT, can't endorse wetland violations.

I'm not for ruining a wet lands. Sometimes I think they get a little carried away telling us what we can and can not do. If the wet land is less than 50' from the house, there probably shouldn't have been a house there anyhow.

Heaven forbid you guys get so far off topic . . . yer sure to pizz someone here off:rolleyes:

Back to the OP . . . why are you dead set on an outdoor unit? Sounds like your lot is small, your neighbors are close, and an inside unit might fit the bill better.

Reactions: timbur
I love having my boiler barn displaced from the house along with the shed roof on it for wood storage and processing. It's hard for me to see an advantage of attached unless you're going to add a door from your house directly into the boiler room. This really is a personal preference question which has been discussed before and we're split here about 50% with both ways being right. I would think insurance issues would be simpler with it detached also. I personally love that the only thing coming into my irreplaceable home is hot water. No much technical about that, just an opinion which has been reinforced now my 3 years of displace operations. If you do a search on indoor vs. outdoor you'll see this discussion come up often, because that's essentially what you're asking.

I mis-read this. I was thinking an indoor gasser in an adjacent room. Well.... given what I know about running my gasser, startup smoke, and processing dirt, I'd still want it as far away from the house as possible. But the 50% opinion will still hold, particuarly up in the snowy north. There you go.... worth every penny you paid!

Heaven forbid you guys get so far off topic . . . yer sure to pizz someone here off:rolleyes:

Back to the OP . . . why are you dead set on an outdoor unit? Sounds like your lot is small, your neighbors are close, and an inside unit might fit the bill better.

The lot is a little over and acre. I was planning to add an indoor unit in a shed, but wetlands have halted that approach. Dead set against placing it in the finished basement for several reasons. My only other option would be to attach a shed or addition off the garage, but cost becomes a concern.

I have an 'indoor' unit in a detached boiler room. Pros and cons, no doubt. My concern though is that you have such a small footprint and close neighbors. This has potential conflict written all over it. I can and usually do run my unit quite cleanly. This AM, I loaded up a bunch of pine slab. Let's just say I am glad my neighbors are acres away, and they still crawl around on 4 feet:cool:

I suspect if you place the unit immediately adjecent to your house the town authorities will have something to say about chimney height. If they said "we don't care" they likely meant if the unit is away from the house.

Typically you're going to need a chimney that is a few feet higher (I believe 2' in most cases?) than any roof section within a 10' radius of the chimney. This may well be a good chunk of chimney and you'll have to figure out how to support it. I wouldn't skimp on chimney height adjecent to a house. Your roof can do some very strange things for draft in even the slightest of a breeze.

An addition on the side of the house is how I would do mine if I could do it over. Insurance shouldn't give you any problems if it's ( In the house. )

...I personally love that the only thing coming into my irreplaceable home is hot water.

I lost my house to a fire in 1988 ( from a soil heater for seedlings, not the wood stove ). We were asleep at the time. No one was injured but we dislike the smell of smoke in the house period. Outdoor building 70 feet from the house. A good firewall on a garage extension would work if you have no other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.