Gassifier without storage questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to become all of a 2nd year user. So take my inputs for what it's worth. I thought I would install storage over the summer, but will now operate another season to make that decision. I learned so much last season using not well seasoned wood and just learning about the whole process. And in my experience it is a process to learn how to efficiently operate one of these. Without storage I guess we idled a good bit, but since last winter was exceptionally cold and I had underground piping issues, we worked it hard most of the time. Cleaning was not a big deal and although I got creosote on the upper chamber sometimes, seems like a hot fire took care of most of it. Lower chamber was always a fine ash and end-of-season service revealed the chimney pretty clean as well. So overall given my poor wood and being a new user... not so bad.

Although storage offers big advantages my least favorite part of the whole process was starting a fire and building a good bed of coals. That may be related to the quality of my wood, but I really hated the process of getting the beast up, nursing it, and getting it gassing after it totally went out. That makes storage far less attractive to me personally. But I'm a certified greenhorn here. Know more after the upcoming season and using better wood. But idling wasn't a big deal here. Far preferred to starting a new fire.

Question #2 will have as many answers as users. I can say that for the only boiler I've ever owned the Biomass seemed reasonable to maintain (given the process is dirty). Not sure how you'll get a quantifiable answer to this one. Cheers.

Tennman said:
I'm about to become all of a 2nd year user. So take my inputs for what it's worth. I thought I would install storage over the summer, but will now operate another season to make that decision. I learned so much last season using not well seasoned wood and just learning about the whole process. And in my experience it is a process to learn how to efficiently operate one of these. Without storage I guess we idled a good bit, but since last winter was exceptionally cold and I had underground piping issues, we worked it hard most of the time. Cleaning was not a big deal and although I got creosote on the upper chamber sometimes, seems like a hot fire took care of most of it. Lower chamber was always a fine ash and end-of-season service revealed the chimney pretty clean as well. So overall given my poor wood and being a new user... not so bad.

Although storage offers big advantages my least favorite part of the whole process was starting a fire and building a good bed of coals. That may be related to the quality of my wood, but I really hated the process of getting the beast up, nursing it, and getting it gassing after it totally went out. That makes storage far less attractive to me personally. But I'm a certified greenhorn here. Know more after the upcoming season and using better wood. But idling wasn't a big deal here. Far preferred to starting a new fire.

Question #2 will have as many answers as users. I can say that for the only boiler I've ever owned the Biomass seemed reasonable to maintain (given the process is dirty). Not sure how you'll get a quantifiable answer to this one. Cheers.
great info thanx! big ole drafty house in S. Tenn info= priceless.

Status
Not open for further replies.