Gather or Split and stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JP11

Minister of Fire
May 15, 2011
Central Maine
I feel like a dog chasing it's tail!

I probably have 4 or 5 cords in pallet U's. 3 of which is good for next winter burning. (I don't have the boiler yet, still waiting on the fab man to get started on my storage tanks)

I'm fortunate enough to have my dad (he's 64) decide that he normally is lazy in winter when there's no golf. He's taken up wood splitting for exercise.

I probably have a cord waiting to be stacked on the pallets when I get home. He did all red oak. So it needs to get stuffed out of the way for 13/14. I have this desire to get thru ALL of my pile. I probably have another 2 cord of hemlock and dead standing and blowdowns that will be next winter's wood.

BUT.. my lot is wet. So now that the ground is frozen, and we have a foot of snow... NOW is the time to get out there and gather in the wet areas on the old skid roads that are really only accessible by snowmobile and sled in winter.

I guess I just need to stack it and get it out of the way for dad.. but other than that concentrate of gathering. I won't be able to split in mud season, at least I could split.. but getting the tractor out there to carry the pallets off would make a mess. Right now is the ONLY time I can gather anywhere on the 70 acres. Summertime I can gather the easy pickins along the driveway and a little on the trails. I'm trying to be gentle on the cab tractor and not bash it about on the trails. I'm eying a dual axle ATV trailer. My dad has a nice 800 polaris ATV.. and I think he'd like to leave it at my house in summer to play in my woods.

I just need to watch him like a hawk on the saw. Not for safety.. but he likes to CUT! He'll whack down everything! I've been keeping him to dead standing and blowdowns. Maybe I'll just get some marking paint then turn him loose. :)

Good problems to have.. I know. But I guess my priority ought to be gather!

JP

I think you're right - get while the getting's good. If you have a volunteer splitter keep a pile of rounds ready for him.

You never split and stack wood when the ground is frozen
There'll be time for processin when the gatherins done

I know what you're talking about. No sand here ; )

I gather when I can, then deal with what must be moved in the processing area, then stack, often cussing heat and or bugs : )

Soft ground realy impacts production if one does not prioritize. I can't split and stack what I can't get to! I stall have a little cut and bucke from last winter that I haven't gotten out of the swamp. It's so wet and warm this year I haven't been able to get vehicles in this winter.

Good luck!
Mike P

The better news today was from the accountant. Looks like despite TRYING to jack up my exemptions to not get as big a refund.. I'll have enough refund plus savings to get everything hooked up just as fast as I can get to it. Master bath better come first to keep the wife happy... but it's full steam ahead on boiler and storage!

Too many projects, not enough time!

JP

SolarAndWood said:
You never split and stack wood when the ground is frozen
There'll be time for processin when the gatherins done
Yeah, and I can stay out of the woods, poison ivy and ticks when it warms up. Maybe in Maine they aren't that bad...

Guessing you're a little bit north of me since in Unity and Bangor we only have maybe a couple of inches on the ground . . . you don't have to travel far though to find the snow. Went sledding last Wednesday after driving an hour or so to Dover-Foxcroft . . . kind of surprised to find such a difference in such a short drive.

You're guessing wrong jake. Down towards Auburn. BUT.. In the last 15 days I was only home 1. I was flying a seaplane in the Bahamas on my "vacation" and now I'm back in hotels thru Wed. Did we really lose all the snow again?

I don't need much for my skandic. Not like I'm burning up the trails towing wood. I keep eying new dead standing stuff I want to cut. I really got to get my wife AND my dad out there at the same time. Quicker loading means more trips per hour.

JP

JP11 said:
You're guessing wrong jake. Down towards Auburn. BUT.. In the last 15 days I was only home 1. I was flying a seaplane in the Bahamas on my "vacation" and now I'm back in hotels thru Wed. Did we really lose all the snow again?

I don't need much for my skandic. Not like I'm burning up the trails towing wood. I keep eying new dead standing stuff I want to cut. I really got to get my wife AND my dad out there at the same time. Quicker loading means more trips per hour.

JP

It could be different for southern Maine . . . but yeah . . . pretty much north and downeast seems to be where the snow is . . . this winter stinks for riding the sleds locally. Good year to have an ATV though.

Status
Not open for further replies.