Gathering....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heem

Dec 13, 2008
Connecticut
So this is my first year with the woodstove, and I'm now noticing what I'm sure all of you notice... Downed trees close to the road. Everywhere I look it's all I see now, ha. Mostly on land that isn't obviously somebody's yard. My question to you guys that gather your own wood.. What's the ettiquite here? Now of course, if it's in some guys front yard, It's proper to ask permission.. but when you can't tell who owns the land by the virtue of it just being "in the woods"... What gives, do you just go and get it, or let it rot?

Let it rot, or risk getting shot.

I've always asked. I know it can be a difficult when you have no idea who owns the property. I just wouldn't feel comfortable cutting on a tree not knowing if the owner intended to use it. Every tree I have asked for has been given to me though.

Property records and maps are available online here. Maybe you have something similar.

Heem said:
So this is my first year with the woodstove, and I'm now noticing what I'm sure all of you notice... Downed trees close to the road. Everywhere I look it's all I see now, ha. Mostly on land that isn't obviously somebody's yard. My question to you guys that gather your own wood.. What's the ettiquite here? Now of course, if it's in some guys front yard, It's proper to ask permission.. but when you can't tell who owns the land by the virtue of it just being "in the woods"... What gives, do you just go and get it, or let it rot?

You might want to check in with the nearest house to the area . . . if they don't own the land chances are they know who does . . . other than that you can check in with the local town office and look at the tax maps to see who owns the property.

You have to ask or its stealing. And timber theft is theft.

Don't ever just help yourself. I don't know a single property owner who woudn't care if someone invited themselves on to their property let alone commence cutting firewood for themselves. Of course there are exceptions.
I've offered downed trees and never had a taker. I have more that rots than I burn but don't just help yourself. It's mine and I pay a LOT to have it. I give up many things that others enjoy, to be able to afford it. Don't think I have more than you and that I shouldn't care.
But on the other hand, you are in Connecticut. Go for it. :lol:

A little homework could go a long way. Go to the town/county tax office, ask to see the maps, and look up the landowner's name and address. It's all public record. Send a letter like this one:

Head of Household
123 Any Road
Anytown, USA

Dear Sir or Madame,

My name is __________ and I pass by your property everyday during my commute to __________. Recently I noticed a sizable downed tree that had been cut up and moved to the side of the road near your driveway. I heat my home with wood and would be happy to remove this wood for you free of charge with your permission of course. I would also gladly remove any other downed trees that have fallen on your property if you wish. If you would like this wood removed, please call me at __________ (Cell), or email me at __________ Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Think about it. You could show up to a woodlot, cut one tree, get caught, and the landowner who probably WOULD NOT have cared had you simply asked permission will likely throw you off for good. Why chance it? Using this method I found a landowner who is slowly opening up the canopy on his forested lot. The tree company comes and fells the trees and leaves them laying on the ground. I come and take it all away. So far I've gotten two whole cords out of this place and there are 5 trees left to cut. I won't be wondering where to get wood from for a LOOOOONG time. This place is not far from my house either so this is the closest thing to 100% free wood there is.

Badfish740 said:
A little homework could go a long way. Go to the town/county tax office, ask to see the maps, and look up the landowner's name and address. It's all public record. Send a letter like this one:

Head of Household
123 Any Road
Anytown, USA

Dear Sir or Madame,

My name is __________ and I pass by your property everyday during my commute to __________. Recently I noticed a sizable downed tree that had been cut up and moved to the side of the road near your driveway. I heat my home with wood and would be happy to remove this wood for you free of charge with your permission of course. I would also gladly remove any other downed trees that have fallen on your property if you wish. If you would like this wood removed, please call me at __________ (Cell), or email me at __________ Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Think about it. You could show up to a woodlot, cut one tree, get caught, and the landowner who probably WOULD NOT have cared had you simply asked permission will likely throw you off for good. Why chance it? Using this method I found a landowner who is slowly opening up the canopy on his forested lot. The tree company comes and fells the trees and leaves them laying on the ground. I come and take it all away. So far I've gotten two whole cords out of this place and there are 5 trees left to cut. I won't be wondering where to get wood from for a LOOOOONG time. This place is not far from my house either so this is the closest thing to 100% free wood there is.

You'd get a good response from me on that though I have other pressing issues so remind if you could.

Thanks all, All of this is what I considered would be polite and correct, I just wondered how the responses would go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.