GCV vs GX

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dquest

Dec 13, 2018
Ont,Can
Thinking about buying a wood splitter. Wallenstein WE 235 seems to fit the bill. Horz and Vert splitting and high bed height. Is it worth going to the WX 520T similar bed height but horiz only. Same specs except the 235 is a gcv160 and the 520 is a gx200 and $ 570 more.

Ill be doing the work myself and prob split 3-5 cords per year.

Thanks.

Thanks, i did see that. Was wondering if the $570 upgrade is worth it. Seems a bit pricey.

I have a timberwolf splitter it is a horizontal only the ram has a plate and it had the optional four way wedge it a big time saver. If that's an option with that model i would consider paying the extra for that. I would think that there is other differences tha just the engine

I have looked on the wallenstein site and everything else seems to be the same. 4 way is $330.

I took a peek on there site there is a few differences like the log cradle on the 520 better. Take a look at the timberwolf tw1 the go for 1800 with the GX engine.

Unfortunately they are in the US and the dollar equals about the same money. Then I have to get it here.

They both look like well made machines, the we225 has the four way wedge available. I guess it all depends how long you plan on doing wood and your budget.

If it were me I would stay away from the gcv. The gx is bulletproof. I have several gx motors in my fleet of tools for my landscaping business. They get used and abused and keep on running.

If it were me I would stay away from the gcv. The gx is bulletproof. I have several gx motors in my fleet of tools for my landscaping business. They get used and abused and keep on running.
Thanks for the info, wasn't sure if difference of almost 600 bucks was worth it. Does have a 3 year engine warranty which is nice.

Like I said I'm sure there are a few differences other than the engine, my motto is buy it right the first time because it cost less in the long run if you have to replace it down the road

Like I said I'm sure there are a few differences other than the engine, my motto is buy it right the first time because it cost less in the long run if you have to replace it down the road
looked at the spec sheets for both and virtually identical, but seems to be a big plus for the GX .

looked at the spec sheets for both and virtually identical, but seems to be a big plus for the GX .

one thing that you need to look at is how much are you going to use it and then justify the additional cost. for example. I split roughly 4 cords per year, that is approximately 20 hours per year and over 10 yeard thats 200 hours on the motor. Thats not a lot at all, so is that worth the extra 600.. splitters are used alot less for home owners then people with businesses that do it for a living. I would justify a high end motor if i were going to be putting 2/3thousand hours on a motor over say 4 years, thats when i drop the extra money. In my opinion if you get the gvc youll be fine just do the proper maintenance. Unless you plan on putting a couple thousand hours on it

Reactions: sloeffle
What’s the horsepower of the two motors?

What’s the horsepower of the two motors?

GCV 160
Net power 4.6 HP (3.4 kW) @ 3,600 rpm
Torque 6.9 lb-ft (9.4 Nm) @ 2,500 rpm

GX 200
Net Power 5.5 HP (4.1 kW) @ 3,600 rpm
Torque 9.1 lb-ft (12.4 Nm) @ 2,500 rpm

one thing that you need to look at is how much are you going to use it and then justify the additional cost. for example. I split roughly 4 cords per year, that is approximately 20 hours per year and over 10 yeard thats 200 hours on the motor. Thats not a lot at all, so is that worth the extra 600.. splitters are used alot less for home owners then people with businesses that do it for a living. I would justify a high end motor if i were going to be putting 2/3thousand hours on a motor over say 4 years, thats when i drop the extra money. In my opinion if you get the gvc youll be fine just do the proper maintenance. Unless you plan on putting a couple thousand hours on it
I'm just doing it for my own use so probably 3-5 cords a year

Both are honda motors so both are built pretty well. Its not like your comparing honda to a Brigss and scrap iron, but that being said the gx has more HP and torque. what is the wood in your area like. if its mostly soft woods then no worries go GCV if your in an area with alot of tough to split woods then you might want to upgrade to the GX.
as a side note.. a couple grand for a splitter is alot.. a splitter at half the cost is still a nice splitter and will.still do the job. were not selling wood.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
Woodsplitter67 is not wrong. I like the “Briggs and Scrap Iron” comment. I have never been a fan of Briggs. I have a push mower with a GCV motor and it starts on the first or second pull just like all my GX motors. Owning a landscape company a lot of my equipment is both my personal stuff as well as company stuff so I typically lean towards the more “professional grade” models. I do minimal tree work through my company but I still bought a professional grade saw. My dad on the other hand buys box store Johnny homeowner stuff like Ryobi backpack blowers, power washers and Poulan saws. Guess who has spent more money and time wasted in the end?

Just replaced the head on an indeterminate age GX200 on my old Northern Tool splitter due to a burned exhaust valve guide, and I expect it to go another 15 years. I've had it for 15 years, I bought it for about $75 from a place that does shopping cart repairs and maintenance, it was on a dead pressure washer. Worked perfectly for 15 years and a new head was 50 bucks. I would suggest getting the GCV version, buying a new GX200 from Northern Tool ($320) or whoever has a deal, then sell the brand new GCV on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a couple hundred and your net cost is $120-140.

Both are honda motors so both are built pretty well. Its not like your comparing honda to a Brigss and scrap iron, but that being said the gx has more HP and torque. what is the wood in your area like. if its mostly soft woods then no worries go GCV if your in an area with alot of tough to split woods then you might want to upgrade to the GX.
as a side note.. a couple grand for a splitter is alot.. a splitter at half the cost is still a nice splitter and will.still do the job. were not selling wood.

I have a lot of Elm, Ash and Box Elder so GX seems the way to go for $3K ( Wallenstein WX 520T ). Here is a cheaper version assembled in Canada with Chinese parts.

description is same as the Wallenstein WXR740 which is $3900

Just replaced the head on an indeterminate age GX200 on my old Northern Tool splitter due to a burned exhaust valve guide, and I expect it to go another 15 years. I've had it for 15 years, I bought it for about $75 from a place that does shopping cart repairs and maintenance, it was on a dead pressure washer. Worked perfectly for 15 years and a new head was 50 bucks. I would suggest getting the GCV version, buying a new GX200 from Northern Tool ($320) or whoever has a deal, then sell the brand new GCV on Craigslist or FB Marketplace for a couple hundred and your net cost is $120-140.
Thanks for the input, appreciate the info.

Have you checked out craigslist or FB marketplace? I picked up a used splitter for $750.00 with a GX 5.5 horse. I wish it was a taller splitter but I can fix that with the welder.

Have you checked out craigslist or FB marketplace? I picked up a used splitter for $750.00 with a GX 5.5 horse. I wish it was a taller splitter but I can fix that with the welder.
I did have a look thanks.

I have a lot of Elm, Ash and Box Elder so GX seems the way to go for $3K ( Wallenstein WX 520T ). Here is a cheaper version assembled in Canada with Chinese parts.

description is same as the Wallenstein WXR740 which is $3900
thats still alot of cash for a splitter.. me personally.. i wouldn't drop that kinda coin on a splitter.. only of i were going to process 100 corda a year and sell it.. you can get a good splitter for 1000 to 1400.. remember.. this thing is going to sit...alot...