Gearing up for the winter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Tibbs

Sep 11, 2011
Utah
Me and the wife went and bought our first ton of pellets for the winter today. We bought at our local ranch store (Cal Ranch) and we got Eureka Premium Pellets for $219 per ton. We bought a few bags a couple of weeks ago and tried them out before we bought a full pallet. They seem to burn pretty clean so far and leave no clingers that we have noticed. We tried to buy at Home Depot but they pulled the old switchero. When I called earlier in the week they said that they had the Eureka Premium Pellets for $209 per ton. When we showed up today with the trailer all they had was Heat'rs for the same price. Having never tried Heat'rs brand we opted to go back to the ranch store and pay the extra $10 per ton for the Eureka's.

We also wrapped up the swamp cooler for the season. We should be in the clear as far as cooling goes.

We are hoping that buying a higher quality pellet that we will burn less this year. Last year we went through about a ton and a half of cheap, horrible pellets. We bought at a local place (White Flame) and were cleaning the stove out every other day. The clingers drove me nuts!! Apparently White Flame recycles pallets into pellets and does not do a good job (if any) of removing the screws and nails from the wood prior to making the pellets. That was a hard lesson to learn! I'm looking forward to no clingers this year!

Here's to a great season of happy burning!!

Welcome Mr. Tibbs,

Glad you could join us here. What model stove are you and the Mrs. using to stay warm with?

We bought a Savannah Saranac insert last year. The house that we bought had no furnace and only electric radiant heat coils in the ceiling. I was soooooooooo scared about turning on the electric heat that we bought the pellet stove almost immediately and replaced the old (30+ years) gas insert. So far we love the pellet stove! The dealer that installed our stove leaves a lot to be desired, but we are still happy. I did have to replace the ignitor already, but the part was covered under warranty. The dealer offered to install it, but after 4 broken appointments I got fed up and did it myself.

Besides that we are loving it!

j-takeman said:
I did a little seasrch and noticed the Savannah Saranac is very close to the Hudson River stove works Saranac. They Both also sell a West Point. So I am thinking the are very similar or as we say rebranded.

http://www.savannahheating.com/html/products.html

http://www.hudsonriverstoves.com/product.php?itemid=4&menu=2

So if you need some tips, We have a member that has named SmokeyTheBear that has basically the same stove in freestanding model.

I have the West Point....You know that rebadging happens all the time but with this one they didn't change a thing....thats just lazy :lol:

Welcome Mr. Tibbs,

The stove is marketed under at least three names. It was fabricated at Inca Metal Cutting in Canada and that isn't the only stove in the Savannah line to be that way. Nor is Inca the only Canadian fabricator to do the same thing.

The parts come from all over the place.

Yeah, I knew it was made under many different names thanks to this site! I have been browsing here for over a year now and have used many tutorials already. I seems like a solid stove, I just wish my dealer was worth a crap. I thought I got a good deal on the stove with install, but I find myself wishing I had spent more at a reputable dealer. O'well, I'm a tinkerer at heart so if something does arise I think I can handle it!

Thanks for all of the welcomes, this seems like a great site for information and pellet comradery!

Mr Tibbs said:
I'm a tinkerer at heart so if something does arise I think I can handle it!

Thanks for all of the welcomes, this seems like a great site for information and pellet comradery!

Most of use here love to tinker, We understand well. But if you get into a pinch, We are always willing to lend an ear or even just to run something by. Bunch of good fella/gals here.

Enjoy your stay and have fun with your stove this season!

Status
Not open for further replies.