General alarm fire American Wood Pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Minister of Fire
Yes, a massive fire indeed. Anyone know if this was a manufacturing site for American Wood Pellet Company?

they bought the property but hadn't done anything with it yet.

In the pre-PC days this might have been called Jewish Lightnin', guess now it's spontaneous combustion.

" But the conflagration may have a silver lining because there were some limitations to what could be done with the property, Fontaine said.

"It may actually work out better. This may be an opportunity to build from scratch," he said.

Guys I don't think that's fair to anyone to say that. If you invested money like that I'm sure you would make darn sure it's insured also. No-one wants a conflagration like that.

Of interest now and what could put them in a serious pickle with their insurance co....they were using a blowtorch in the building...without a firewatch permit...FD says they needed it (and were on site) and owner says they didn't need it. Wonder if they would dis-allow payment on the policy...

hossthehermit said:
In the pre-PC days this might have been called Jewish Lightnin', guess now it's spontaneous combustion.

" But the conflagration may have a silver lining because there were some limitations to what could be done with the property, Fontaine said.

"It may actually work out better. This may be an opportunity to build from scratch," he said.

You've been reading my mind! Time for another layer on the tinfoil hat…..

hossthehermit said:

What kind of an idiot says that out loud so close to this happening. Man the fire and insurance peeps will be SOOOOO far up there rear looking into this thing now!

Grew up a few miles from this mill. My father told me he had embers falling all over his property from the fire. There have been quite a few large mill fires in Woonsocket over the past 15 years or so- I was thinking the city needed more property for new schools (the new middle school was built on the site of the last large fire).

Seems like they were cutting pipes in one part of the plant and then set the whole thing off. I live south of the mill and could see the smoke on the horizon while driving on 295. Doesn't take much to light up one of these old structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.