General maintenance questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sscomo

Nov 15, 2010
central mo
What type of oil do you use to lube the motors? Whats the best?

Would chain lube work well? Or a dry wax lube, since it doesnt attract dust?

It's probably good stuff, but $15.00 for that little bottle??? :bug:

As for their "claims" that Fasco doesn't want any oil used other than theirs, I found this on Fasco's website in a PDF file that was discussing their electric motors:

"FACT For routine maintenance and improved bearing life expectancy, a few drops of non detergent “twenty weight†oil can be added every 12 months"

Funny, that's exactly what the Blue Can 3-in 1 oil is.

I noticed that too. My manual also suggests 20w oil. Havent had to oil yet but wanted to get the good stuff right of the bat. I do like the $3 price of the 20w vs the $15.

Ok, went over and over my stove manual and couldn't any direction for using oil on a motor. Where on the electric motor should I apply the oil? Are there ports on them for this. I was thinking that these are sealed unit., but admittedly, I know little about a motor other than the need to keep it clean. I am on my third year and would like to get many more before I run into avoidable failure and cost. thanks

I used some 'One Lube' (has a little teflon in it I think) that I've had forever and it worked pretty good... but it has finally run out so I'm back to 3 in 1 oil...

save$ said:
Ok, went over and over my stove manual and couldn't any direction for using oil on a motor. Where on the electric motor should I apply the oil? Are there ports on them for this. I was thinking that these are sealed unit., but admittedly, I know little about a motor other than the need to keep it clean. I am on my third year and would like to get many more before I run into avoidable failure and cost. thanks

It depends upon who made the motors. If they should be oiled it should say in the manual or on the motor plate. There will be oil ports on the motor if they should be oiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.