General moisture meter accuracy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Got myself a General moisture meter a couple of weeks back and I'm kind of disappointed. From perusing the various threads on here, it seems mine isn't particularly accurate. I tested it out on some wood that was split just a few weeks back and it gave me readings in the high teens. This past weekend I tried it out on some maple that came down during Hurricane Irene - freshly split moments before by yours truly - and the highest reading was 26 percent.

Finally, I saw some people have tested it out on the palms of their hand and got readings in the 34 range. I did mine, and it registers a 22. I've been told I have a dry wit, but I don't think that translates to one's skin. Maybe I need to use more moisturizer.

Any thoughts on this? I'm not too concerned. I figure I'll just add 5 percent or so to whatever readings I get, but it's kind of annoying when something seems sketchy right out of the box.

Oops, this IS the gear forum...

A few years back I tested the one I got from Amazon with one from Harbor Freight. Mine read 8-10 higher and after burning the wood, would say it was more accurate.

As long as it is consistently wrong, you should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.