Generator: Tractor Supply 3500W for $279

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope the generator section is as good as the engine, because I may be wrong, but I think that's a GX200 Honda engine painted yellow....I compared the block casting to the Honda, and they are identical.

For that price, that may be the steal of the year.

Im not familiar with that one, but the price seems very good, add a wheel kit to it and you got a nice generator. Read the reviews they are excellent.

There's some posts on various sites (amazon, etc.) that claim the motors are Honda knock-off's (clones) from China. They still seem to get some high praise anyway.
Mike -

make sure it is a true 60 hzs before hooking it to your stove get a friends meter and test it. Could cost you a motor or control board.

Dr_Drum said:
There's some posts on various sites (amazon, etc.) that claim the motors are Honda knock-off's (clones) from China....

You could be right Mike....they are doing that with EVERYTHING.

Reading the reviews, though, most people really liked the unit, and commented on how quiet it is, and how easily it started....typical "Honda" traits.

Hey, buy one & give it a whirl....if you don't like it, return it.....for that price it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Have been looking for a good deal on a good generator. Hopefully this is the one.
What's most interesting is that while the sale price does seem a steal, the regular price is only $20 more. And free shipping to a local TSC definitely helps as well.
Too good to be true? Guess we'll see.

i use that same genny on my bowfishing boat to power 3- 400 watt metal halides lights....and a few other things on it....very quiet and works like a dream ..in the bowfishing world thats known as "a poor mans honda" also fuel consumption is great on this unit

The Champion import generators use either the Lifan or Jiang Dong Honda GX 200 clone engines. I have both and they do a great job. The Champion generators seem to have the best support of any of the imports. Lifan on my splitter and Jiang Dong on my little genny. Honda has to be licensing the things. Japanese companies sue Chinese companies all the time.

i and my dad both bought one last year. we use them to power the furnaces in a power outage. i havent tried mine on the P38,may try it when things start warming near the end of the season. we both like them very well. i tried my former genny during an outage, and it popped a fuse on the pellet stove. ever tried to find the right fuse on a sunday for a harman? needless to say, when i finally DID find one, i bought 4, just to have on hand.former genny was a coleman industrial and very loud...i would buy more of the champion gennies if i had to,very nice little rig.

They have them at CAB as well,299 with the wheel kit (plus shipping of $18),if your a club member you get 30 off anything over 150 too (helps negate the shipping> Out of stock but backorder available

So,this the consensus is this will not be safe to use on a pellet stove but to run your furnace its should be ok?

What would be required to make it safe for a pellet stove mother board,or is there a generator that will ?

Thanks

nhdblfan said:
So,this the consensus is this will not be safe to use on a pellet stove but to run your furnace its should be ok?

I don't see anyone in this thread saying it is not safe. Why would line power be safe but not the power from this generator? And what makes powering a pellet stove different than the boiler/furnace or even a computer? I'm thinking of getting one of these along with a transfer switch kit like this: http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Cont...sr_1_3?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1293724319&sr=1-3

richkorn said:
nhdblfan said:

I don't see anyone in this thread saying it is not safe. Why would line power be safe but not the power from this generator? And what makes powering a pellet stove different than the boiler/furnace or even a computer? I'm thinking of getting one of these along with a transfer switch kit like this: http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Cont...sr_1_3?s=garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1293724319&sr=1-3

This is the post;

maglite67 said:
make sure it is a true 60 hzs before hooking it to your stove get a friends meter and test it. Could cost you a motor or control board.

Has anyone actually run a pellet stove on here with it?

If this is designed for RV use and puts out 120vac and people use it to power equipment and household appliances, then would it put out anything other than 60 cycle?

I am not sure, it looks like it has to be a "pure sine wave" not a "modified sine wave"

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13532/

They do get good reviews,and certainly cheap enough,but it may not be a "clean" as say a Honda generator,they are made in the same country who poisoned dog food and not really known for careful manufacturing.

Just want to be sure, not sense in saving a couple hundred then have the mother board on my Harman get smoked.

They are probably great little generators, aside from the lead-based paint. Just don't let the kids chew on it. LOL (I know, poor joke).
Mike -

nhdblfan said:
I am not sure, it looks like it has to be a "pure sine wave" not a "modified sine wave"

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13532/

They do get good reviews,and certainly cheap enough,but it may not be a "clean" as say a Honda generator,they are made in the same country who poisoned dog food and not really known for careful manufacturing.

Just want to be sure, not sense in saving a couple hundred then have the mother board on my Harman get smoked.

Very true!

Dr_Drum said:
They are probably great little generators, aside from the lead-based paint. Just don't let the kids chew on it. LOL (I know, poor joke).
Mike -

Or the dog!

I stopped by a Tractor Supply on the way to the outlets with the wife (cost =$150 for yet another pair of shoes !),they had 4 in stock and looked pretty good from what you could see.I will say the cage had the "normal" crappy Chinese welds.Also the wheel kit,at least for me would be a big plus.
Would still like to be sure that sine wave it puts outs is ok with the Harman XXV electronics.

Just bumping this post to see if anyone has tried the Champion on their pellet stove to be sure it did not mess with the eletronics?
Wed,once again, the power went out.3 hrs, not big deal as I had the wood stove going as well (pellet stove shut off but no smoke).
I see CB has them,backorder able again and was toying with buying one.

Thanks

nhdblfan said:
Just bumping this post to see if anyone has tried the Champion on their pellet stove to be sure it did not mess with the eletronics?
Wed,once again, the power went out.3 hrs, not big deal as I had the wood stove going as well (pellet stove shut off but no smoke).
I see CB has them,backorder able again and was toying with buying one.

Thanks

I know 2 friends that have pellet stoves and champion gensets, and both work fine.
Here the power goes out regularly during storms, and for 2 or 3 days sometimes.

Thanks Mcbride !

thats pretty much the case here, a good bit of wind and snow and off goes the power.If its "winta" we can keep the food fine (coolers and outside) but the wood stove has a hard time keeping the house warm.

appreciate the post,will probably order one from Cabalas

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.