Gerber Splitting Axe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fiskars has been the parent company of Gerber for a couple decades now, and you will find some of the same Fiskars products with the Gerber name on them.

This company makes a variety of "splitting axes," so you have to make sure that you're getting the one you want.

Examples: Super Splitting Axe, Pro Splitting Axe, X25 Splitting Axe, X27 Splitting Axe

To be certain, that is not the original Super Splitting Axe (head shape is wrong), nor is it the X27 Splitting axe (handle too short). That leaves us with the X25 Splitting Axe or Pro Splitting Axe. The head in your link looks more like the Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe to me. See comparison pictures throughout this link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80274/

IMO, you do NOT want the Pro Splitting Axe; You want one of the other three.

TreePointer- Thanks for the input. Hard to tell just what it is...may just skip it,
but the price isnt bad if its a decent splitter...

The other three are the ones that everyone raves about. Their heads are over 4 lbs., but the Pro is over a pound less if I recall correctly.

The "Pro" Fiskars is 2.25 lbs. I have one and have no problem splitting most stuff with it. True, sometimes the 6lb maul is better......... but if you get some straight clean oak or the like, you sure can FLY with the Fiskars Pro!

TreePointer said:
To be certain, that is not the original Super Splitting Axe (head shape is wrong), nor is it the X27 Splitting axe (handle too short). That leaves us with the X25 Splitting Axe or Pro Splitting Axe. The head in your link looks more like the Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe to me. See comparison pictures throughout this link: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/80274/

I disagree

I have the Pro too. Great for the easier splitting hardwoods. Less wear and tear on the body.

TreePointer said:
The other three are the ones that everyone raves about. Their heads are over 4 lbs., but the Pro is over a pound less if I recall correctly.

Substitute "some" or "many" for "everyone" and you have a true statement. M'self, 6+ lb is preferable, with long handle, non-chippy steel.

CTYank said:
TreePointer said:

Substitute "some" or "many" for "everyone" and you have a true statement. M'self, 6+ lb is preferable, with long handle, non-chippy steel.

The context was Fiskars splitting axes. Of the Fiskars splitting axes, the other three are are indeed the ones that everyone raves about. Of course there are a some who like the lighter weight Fiskars Pro Splitting Axe, but that never had anywhere close to the hype and rave reviews of the original Super Splitting Axe (and it's successors the X25 and X27). If Fiskars makes a 6+ lb. splitting axe, I never heard of it. Fiskars does make one with a longer 36" handle--the X27 Splitting Axe.

TreePointer said:

I've got all four of those axes and I would rank the Pro Splitter as my second favorite, after the Super Splitter. I always like to use the lightest tool that can get the job done and often times that's the Pro Splitter with it's 2.25 pound head.

IMG_1778.jpg

TreePointer said:
IMO, you do NOT want the Pro Splitting Axe; You want one of the other three.[/b]

(Heh, now I'm quoting myself, LOL!) I think I see where some are taking exception to my earlier statement. I didn't mean to say that the Pro is not desirable to have. I have one and I like it for what it is--a very effective lightweight splitter. What I meant was that the Fiskars axe with all the hype is the SSA (or later X25 and X27), and if you are attempting to purchase the Fiskars "rockstar," then you don't want that Gerber axe (the Gerber version of the Fiskars Pro Spitting Axe).

I own and like the super splitter and just logged off amazon! Can't wait to swing my x27. Never thought I would get excited about an axe! And I never thought that the super splitter could be improved! ( the short handle never felt natural ). I'm 6'

trailmaker said:
. I always like to use the lightest tool that can get the job done and often times that's the Pro Splitter with it's 2.25 pound head.

+1

Flatbedford said:
trailmaker said:
. I always like to use the lightest tool that can get the job done and often times that's the Pro Splitter with it's 2.25 pound head.

+1
I only carry one splitting tool with me each day into the woods. That's the tool I feel will nearly always get the job done onsite for me regardless of weight or wood conditions. Carrying an assortment of tools in my limited toolbox space, or making return trips for lighter/heavier/different splitting tools depending on conditions, is out of the question. So far, in many years of splitting firewood, I have found only one tool that gets the job done onsite almost every time day after day with the least amount of fuss. Now that Fiskars is finally offering a full size handle on their splitter, I am intrigued. If I ever find one available locally, I fully intend to purchase it and see what it will do for me.

quads said:
Flatbedford said:
trailmaker said:

+1
I only carry one splitting tool with me each day into the woods. That's the tool I feel will nearly always get the job done onsite for me regardless of weight or wood conditions. Carrying an assortment of tools in my limited toolbox space, or making return trips for lighter/heavier/different splitting tools depending on conditions, is out of the question. So far, in many years of splitting firewood, I have found only one tool that gets the job done onsite almost every time day after day with the least amount of fuss. Now that Fiskars is finally offering a full size handle on their splitter, I am intrigued. If I ever find one available locally, I fully intend to purchase it and see what it will do for me.

Have you ever actually swung a Fiskars Pro-Splitter?

No?

Bigg_Redd said:
quads said:

No?
No. Never. Have never met anybody that has one so I could try it out. If that's the one with the short handle, I doubt if it would work very well for me in the woods and splitting on the ground anyway.

The new x27 has a 36" handle! I just ordered one from Amazon under $50 shipped and tax. I may list my super splitter on craigslist or just keep it in the trunk!

quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
quads said:

No?
No. Never. Have never met anybody that has one so I could try it out. If that's the one with the short handle, I doubt if it would work very well for me in the woods and splitting on the ground anyway.

Oh, ok.

That's what I thought.

Thanks for all the input guys...just went ahead and ordered me one. I was ordering
some things from them anyway. Whats another axe in the pile gonna hurt...ha If
I really like the way this one works, I will look into getting me a X27 soon...

Bigg_Redd said:
quads said:
Bigg_Redd said:
quads said:

No?

Oh, ok.

That's what I thought.
HAHA! You didn't have to think about it too hard, since that's what I've always said!

Status
Not open for further replies.