Germany builds it's first LNG Terminal, in 194 days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ABMax24

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2019
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
I've worked my entire life in construction, particularly in Oil & Gas, and have become used to the fast pace nature demanded by the industry. But the Germans have me absolutely taken aback with this one, the project is not massive nor as complex, but the timeline in which it was completed is astounding none the less. Good on them.

I just hope they didnt cut too many corners. When there is a LNG leak and fire the resultant explosion (called a BLEVE) resembles a small nuclear explosion. No radioactivity but incredible damage.

That's awesome! Now they have to deal with spot prices for LNG or sign a long term contract for it. I understand there are a bunch of tankers waiting off shore waiting for prices to go up.

The problem is currently that there is also a shortage of much more expensive LNG plants to liquify the natural gas. They take a few billion and 3 to 5 year to build. The problem is that the energy cost to liquify is in the $3 range, its far cheaper to send it through pipelines so when pipelines get going again in Europe, then no one wants to pay the premium for LNG.

I just hope they didnt cut too many corners. When there is a LNG leak and fire the resultant explosion (called a BLEVE) resembles a small nuclear explosion. No radioactivity but incredible damage.

I can't speak for German standards, but that's why over pressure protection is installed on all tanks and piping. So if there is a fire the resulting gas vapour is released from the piping in a controlled manner.

Such a fire being allowed to cause a BLEVE is a failure of the design engineers or operations staff.