Getting an oversized bar for a Husky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
If the Husky 346 xp is only shown available with a 20 inch bar, is it possible to put a 24 aftermarket bar on it? Regardless of how effective it would be, it may be of value for dealing with the tree I have access to, pictured below. There is alot of wood that is well over 36 inch diameter, like 30 running feet! I don't want to struggle noodleing and breaking down the log because my 18 inch Wild Thing can't reach the core of the tree. So regardless of how effectively it would cut, if I could put a 24 inch bar on the 346, it would make bucking that tree more managable. Quick math based on my saw; 18 inch bar with 36cc motor, vs the proposed 52cc Husky with a 24 inch bar. Seems an equitable inch to cc comparison, and I have been content with the Wild Thing's progress through this Red Oak so far. Let's hear your opinion. And I am not going bigger than the 346, just to intercept those comments. Thanks

Attachments

• tree8.jpg
    tree8.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 265
Yea I am sure there out there and more than likely up to a 50 inch. West coast style....lol

Not sure whether the oiler is going to like feeding a 24" bar or not, but I reckon there's only one way to find out. Skip chain would be the order of the day, for sure.

computeruser said:
Not sure whether the oiler is going to like feeding a 24" bar or not, but I reckon there's only one way to find out. Skip chain would be the order of the day, for sure.

I agree.

There are folks who run bigger bars on modified "new edition" 346XP saws. After you buy the bar and a chain or two, you're already beyond the cost of a 70+cc saw rental. Here, I can get rent a Jonsered 2171 (Husqvarna 372XP) for $40/day. Home Depot has Makita 6401 saws that should also better handle that larger diameter wood.

Any chance of renting a bigger saw for an afternoon to deal with it? That way, save the cost of bar/chain and strain on your saw

346 takes the small mount bar and 24's aren't hard to find. Baileys has skip .325 specialty chain. The oiler ain't up to the task though unless it's modded.

Even with a 24" and an adequate oiler you're still in for a good fight on that Oak unless you step up to 70cc.

I'm a huge fan of the 346, but it would simply be overmatched for that kind of work.
Gotta second looking for a rental.

Good point on the rental guys. I will look into that first. Thanks

I run a 20" bar on the 2152. While it isn't as fast as the 371, it is more than capable.

Hey my way, I might be able to help. Where you at? I have a bunch of bars and chains for my huskys and can mix and match. If you can fit it, I can let you borrow my 42 inch bar and chain. Shes setup for 3/8. Send me a pm if you are close.

Status
Not open for further replies.