Getting behind pellest stove insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DemonGT

Oct 19, 2011
Sparta,WI
iv recently purchased a new home with a danson pellet stove insert. the previous owner said something about it being wired for a thermostat? there is a block off plate next to the
furnace thermostat with a single wire behind it. i want to get behind the pellet stove to check to see if its that wire is hooked to the pellet stove. how do i get behind the pellet stove?

Photo:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e90/DemonGT410/IMG_3442.jpg

First, Nice Fireplace!....

I would imagine that you could at least partially take that the surround off or apart. Then you could see how the stove is hooked up to the chimney liner. If you disconnect the liner from the stove, you could pull the whole thing out.

On the other hand, you could get lucky and have the thermostat connection right there once you get the surround apart....

at first i thought i could just remove the black "boarder" but they grouted it.

i also cleaned the exhaust and noticed the pipe moved in and out? which worried me a bit so i wanted to check on the connection.

ALSO...haha the inlet knob dose not seem to be working right? seems to be binding up. when you push it and pull it nothing seems to be moving?
the little i used it last spring i was getting what i thought was alot of ash on the glass ...how long should the glass stay clean?

Have you got the manuals for that insert?

If not visit the Danson site and download them, one of them should be an installation manual that shows how to put the insert and surround together, etc ...

It is possible for the damper to have become disconnected or get fetched up and not move.

The amount of time the glass stays clean will depend upon how well the fire burns the damper will have an impact on that , weather there is an air wash on that unit, and the moisture and impurities in the pellet being burned.

It is frequently difficult to maintain a clear glass on low heat settings as the combustion by products that can condense out at low temperatures will condense on the glass.

a PelPro Bay Window Fireplace Insert is what i have but must be made by danson?

i looked at the instructions and it only seems to give you dimensions and clearances for install?

DemonGT said:
a PelPro Bay Window Fireplace Insert is what i have but must be made by danson?

i looked at the instructions and it only seems to give you dimensions and clearances for install?

There are a large number of pellet stoves that are made by fabricators that end up with different retail names.

The installation manuals usually will show how the unit both goes into the fireplace and the major parts go together. The installation manual is not usually the same as the user manual. Each manufacturer does things a bit differently. I'll see if I can find something later today. I'm going to get away from the screen for awhile.

I looked at a PelPro Bay Window Free Standing better than 5 years ago IIRC. Aubachan Hardware was selling them.

A bud of mine has an insert. He made a 2x4 and plywood platform to slide the stove out on the same height as the hearth. I have helped him slide it out(for a couple a brews). He removes the suround and slides it out to disconnect the pipe/liner. I think he kicks it to ones side a bit too. Once the pipe/liner are disconnected we slide it out to the plate form to do the full cleaning. Actually he cleans and I drink the brew(s). I'll help him slide it back onto the hearth. Usually will have to call the wifey to come get me by them(hiccup)! :cheese:

Some of the new stoves have fancy rail systems you could look at for idea's. But you will need to make something as you will have to pull it all the way out to do a proper cleaning. Unless you are good at pulling the blowers off with only a couple of inches to work with.

On my Harman insert you take 4 scres out to remove the whole control system. The thermostat hooks up there. I don't know about your brand but if it has screws holding the control panel in I would look there first. Make sure you unplug the stove before doing any of this.

Also the verticle side panels on mine are held on by snaps and with a little pulling the whole side panel will come off. These are the panels that butt up to the surround. Behind these panels are latches which release the stove from a mounted carrier in the fireplace.

Again your stove may very well be different but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I took a look at what passes for manuals on that stove and can't find enough information to tell me how it is set up but I'd suspect something like what Bkins is talking about on the side panels.

pretty sure the stove plug in is behind the stove...so i can not unplug it unless i can get behind it.

when i pull on the stove the whole black surround pieces flex

Wow, sounds like whoever installed the stove had no clue that it had to be serviced! It sounds like my son's heatilator fireplace where the builders put the fake rock right over the sheet metal surround. When it comes time to convert him to pellets, we are going to have to take a hammer and chisel to some of the rock and mortar. It appears that you may have to do the same. Gently at first right at the mortar line between the sheet metal and the rock. You say the metal flexes when you try to pull it out. Is that both sides AND the top? I see what looks like three screws on the top plate. True?

Looking at the PelPro literature, it says that the black pieces around your stove are the shroud. They should be IN FRONT of the stonework, not embedded in it. Looks like you have some work ahead of you. You have no idea how much fly ash has accumulated in the exhaust piping so it's got to be done, IMHO.

there are four screw's, one in each corner. the three your referring to are actually rivets.

the previous owner told me there is also a gas line behind the stove so if i ever want to convert it to a gas fireplace

there is about a quarter inch gap on each side of the stove at the top and it will move side to side, maybe it just has to be
at the right angle/spot to pull out?

You might need someone th lend a hand and just wiggle it out. They are heavy and you don't want to have it get away from you.

i just tried again and the black boarder piece just flexes, stove will not slide out? i emailed the danson and they said it just pulls out also?

DemonGT said:
there are four screw's, one in each corner. the three your referring to are actually rivets.

the previous owner told me there is also a gas line behind the stove so if i ever want to convert it to a gas fireplace

there is about a quarter inch gap on each side of the stove at the top and it will move side to side, maybe it just has to be
at the right angle/spot to pull out?

The stove moves relative to the shroud or the whole thing moves 1/4" side to side? These things are heavy and take some 'beef' to move them but you said the shroud flexes which sounds like it's bolted to the stove body.

You're going to have to break the grout line. The surround will be attached to the insert with clips and or screws on the top and sides. You have to remove the surround and disconnect the chimney to remove the stove. Unless they customized the surround and extended the control panel wires I doubt your going to get behind it any other way.

Shane said:
You're going to have to break the grout line. The surround will be attached to the insert with clips and or screws on the top and sides. You have to remove the surround and disconnect the chimney to remove the stove. Unless they customized the surround and extended the control panel wires I doubt your going to get behind it any other way.

X2

im afraid i will have to yes....i might just leave it alone for now since it works fine

just wanted to get behind it and see if that wire for the thermostat was hooked up to the stove or just laying back there

DemonGT said:
im afraid i will have to yes....i might just leave it alone for now since it works fine

just wanted to get behind it and see if that wire for the thermostat was hooked up to the stove or just laying back there

I know it's just me but I couldn't sleep at night not knowing when and if the previous owner EVER cleaned out the flue or like you hinted at, it is even still hooked up. I hope you have a carbon monoxide tester in the room. It could be a very dangerous situation and sooner or later when you least want a problem.........................

The Harman's have a frame that mounts in the fireplace onto which the flex pipe is mounted. When you pull out the insert the flex pipe/liner stays right on the frame. The stove matches up with the frame via a good sized gasket which seals everything up. What does the side of the inset look like? Is the whole stove face and sides all one unit?

I would find the fuse/circuit breaker that the stove runs off of and shut it off. Then I would take out the 2 screws that hold the control panel on and move it so it will come out the square hole that the panel is covering. More then likely that is where all the electronic stove business is done and where a thermostat wire would be, or attach. It will also allow you to see what is back there so to speak. I would also take the 1 screw off the side panel and give a tug. I am guessing that that panel is either held on by that screw of by a few snaps like are on jeans sometimes. I would bet you will find a latch that keeps the stove tight to the surround. You will need to do the same on the other side. Once both latches are released you should be able to pull the insert out. You will need floor protection and help as these a pretty heavy. Let us know what you find even if you decide not to pull it right now. I also think I would pull it and clean it so I knew what I was dealing with, whether it works now or not.

Good luck.

got some pics and a video looking behind the control panel, uploading now

didnt see any loose wires..i did find a what looks like a copper metal piece going from the panel to...somewhere?

First of all, that is one REALLY CUTE baby!!!
Very interesting video of the fireplace. It looks like it a metal prefab fireplace and it also looks like the main stove body is sitting on the base. I see a horizontal piece of flex pipe which could be the outside air kite, affectionately known as the OAK. I don't know if it is coiled up so it stays connected as you slide the stove out. I would hope so, if not, you will have to redo that. No big deal. My guess is that you will have to remove the hex head screws at the bottom of the shroud next to the stone, chip out the mortar joint to reveal the edges of the shroud and then pull it out. If they actually put some of the stones in front of the shroud, then hunt those bas$%^ards down and remove THEIR stones!

Status
Not open for further replies.