Getting coal fire started going?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
Alright, I have an old smoke dragon, and got a load of coal ( hard/ nut ) for a good price. My parents burned coal in this stove for years! So I decided to try it! They have this basket that goes in the stove, that holds the coal, and on the side is a lever that shkaes the grate. So I made a fire got it going good, then added some coal, about three ash shovels, inside the grate! The fire never really took off, all night! Never got over 350* So today I put a small amount 2 ash shovels full in the basket. Stove is clean no ash. Then I made a good fire on top of the grate. It took off good like usual. Kept adding wood, and had a good pile of hot coals on top of coal! The coal never took off, it sat at 350 * Am I doing something wrong?

J

Status
Not open for further replies.