Getting Harman PF100 Into Basement...tips/advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nateschisler

Apr 8, 2011
Central OH
Stopped by my dealer to look at the big metal money-saving addition to my family...I couldn't wait any longer. We're picking it up in 2 weeks, along with 4 tons of pellets. As the title implies, I have to get this bad boy into my basement...and it's not a walk-out. I can get it into the house fine, it's getting it down 12 steps into the basement that is starting to worry me. I have an appliance dolly - the kind with the straps and rubber tracks on the back. My dealer is saying 4 men with strong backs. I have already reinforced my steps by putting a 2x4 post under each one. Any suggestions?

we have a ramp we built from plywood with some sheet metal on one side. we set the ramp on the stairs and lower it with a winch. you could probably use some 2x6s for a ramp...and 4 guys holding a rope for a winch...maybe a "tag along" would do.

FOTONATE said:
.......I have an appliance dolly - the kind with the straps and rubber tracks on the back. My dealer is saying 4 men with strong backs. I have already reinforced my steps by putting a 2x4 post under each one. Any suggestions?

I think that will do just fine.

I don't know how many parts you can take off it, but every part is that much less weight. The door must weigh a bit, burn pot, etc. And, Heaven forbid, it gets dropped or jolted, the door glass won't break, nor any other parts that aren't on it.

A ramp and a winch, or block and tackle, would be a safe way.

I understand the Do It Yourself Way, I do it too, but sometimes it's worth the money to have someone else do it. Plus, if there's an accident, they are responsible for repairs.

I put my Revolution in the cellar with the help of 1 other guy and one of those dollies, we're both in our 50's. Easy? No. Doable? Very. Take your time.

dolly it. One guy up top (with a good grip) one guy on bottom. Double strap that sucker w/ ratchet tie downs to the dolly. I would not advise using a ramp: if something happens, or someone lets go, its a good way to have it roller coaster all the way to the bottom, and over the guy on bottom! The steps act as a natural "brake" as well as a spot to take a few seconds rest if you get a little winded/ tired... also provide better traction than a smooth plywood ramp for your feet.

If its over 500 lbs (before we had escalaras) It was one guy at the top, two on the bottom, unit strapped to a hand truck, find the balance point and one step at a time, nice and slow.

Never did end up with any deaths or injuries.

we dumped one into a basement for a guy a few months ago. into a 10' drop bulkhead, no stairs. I got underneath, 2 guys up top with a rope tied to the utility hook on the top. slid it on cardboard over the concrete till it tipped my way, threw my shoulder into the bottom of it, and they lowered while I kept it stable... when it got to about 2' from the floor, I crawled out from underneath it and helped steady it down the rest of the way. The guy and his neighbors looked at me like I'd lost my mind. I got it in there, though!

Several husky 'volunteers', a ramp, a good rope, and a case of beer and it's done.

summit said:
we dumped one into a basement for a guy a few months ago. into a 10' drop bulkhead, no stairs. I got underneath, 2 guys up top with a rope tied to the utility hook on the top. slid it on cardboard over the concrete till it tipped my way, threw my shoulder into the bottom of it, and they lowered while I kept it stable... when it got to about 2' from the floor, I crawled out from underneath it and helped steady it down the rest of the way. The guy and his neighbors looked at me like I'd lost my mind. I got it in there, though!

Yeah, I'd say you lost your mind buddy!

Don't use a cheap appliance dolly. The dealer used a brand new cheap dolly to get my PF100 down the steps to my basement. When all was said and done a few of the dolly welds were completely separated. They trashed the dolly. So if you do use a dolly, rent a good commercial one; don't trust a consumer dolly to haul your new furnace; it's a 450 pound step banger.

My concern was that I'm going to have to strap the dolly to the side opposite the hopper, which would mean my balance point is going to be awfully far back. I have a serious, aluminum dolly, two straps (made back when they used to know how to make stuff). We've taken freezers and the sort up and down, but those are balanced pretty well. We may get the sucker in their and 10 minutes and I'll say "whew, that was easy". Just wanted to hear everybody's thoughts. Thanks!

the hopper can be removed. - worst part is, however, the opposite side of the hopper has the exh motor housing sticking outta it.

Franks said:
summit said:

not really a big deal... I've had some bigger women on top of me back in my drunken college days! :lol:

summit said:
not really a big deal... I've had some bigger women on top of me back in my drunken college days! :lol:

I've exorcised those kind of memories from my brain. Demon Rum!!!

The hopper can come off without too much hassle. The combustion blower can come off the other end with a few wingnuts and disconnecting a couple of electrical connections. After that, you're left with a manageable box to drop down one stair at a time. Definitely do-able with a decent dolly.

tjnamtiw said:
summit said:

I've exorcised those kind of memories from my brain. Demon Rum!!!

Demon Bourbon, in my case....

The unit comes with the blower assembly not installed, so that won't be an issue. My dealer told me NOT to remove the hopper because it is sealed to the unit and I would have to break the seal to remove it, and then attempt to reseal...

summit said:
Franks said:
summit said:

Your my hero! Big girls need lovin too!

Hey, OP, let us know how it goes. Maybe snap a photo of the delivery.

I don't recommend this whatsoever, but I got mine in the basement myself. Mine was new from Lowes and still on the skid. I lowered the skid onto the steps of the basement from the balco doors and just used myself as a brace one step at a time to get it down there as the skid glided across the end of each step. It wasn't bad for me but then again the weight room has helped me pack on a few since high school. If I had a dolly I would have used that for sure. I should have waited til I got help or bought a dolly but I was too eager to get the damn thing installed. Patience is usually one of my virtues but not that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.