Getting heat to upper level............

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
.......... not to bring bring up again the well known and discussed limitations of heat circulation when your stove is situated in the lower living spaces but I have noticed a significant difference in the cold air rushing down into my finished (insulated) basement and the warm air going up (circulation) as the cold weather creeped in.
Actually I hadn`t given it much thought before nor have I seen it much discussed here but apparently it becomes quite obvious and mostly due to the dry lighter air of the winter that moves easier and much more rapidly than the heavier (more moist) air of the shoulder seasons.
I can hold a 1" wide X 2" long strip of paper next to the stair risers and the strip will bend over from the cooler air rushing down to replace the warmer air and my stairs are 40 " wide. That`s a lot of air moving .
Ok, I know all this is pretty basic stuff but it`s still interesting when you stop to think more about it .

Status
Not open for further replies.