Getting Wood Up To A Deck

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovation

Oct 26, 2010
SW MI near Saugatuck
Hi Folks,

Slow1 was talking about hauling wood up to his raised deck, and it inspired me to post this, since I'm looking for an easy way to do the same.

My master plan involves loading wood on a wheeled caddy, like the Landmann Log Caddy:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410e0NSStRL._AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Landmann-8242...651A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296427906&sr=8-1

And rolling it first inside my backdoor to let the snow/water drip dry, then parking near my stove (but outside combustibles clearance). That means I only have to lift the wood into the caddy and then into the stove.

The challenge is getting it up to the deck. I'd rather not haul it up the stairs, so I'm thinking of a ramp with a come-along--maybe any electric winch. Any suggestions and/or experiences to share?

Best wishes to you and your back. :)

Frontloader! hehehehehe

I'm waiting to hear the answers (chasing your thread here). I have wondered if one of those carts with big enough wheels could be pulled up the steps... I found a commercially available lift once for wood but it was way too expensive for my tastes.

Other thoughts include a boom that would swing out over the edge of the deck with a winch to attach to some sort of basket to hold the wood (or perhaps the cart itself if the wood can be stabilized to not fall out). The mechanics of making such a structure worry me a bit though as we're talking significant weight so lots of torque on that thing so it would have to be very strong at the fulcrum not to mention some really good mounting to the deck. I wonder if there is some sort of engine lift that swings around and could be adopted to this purpose...

Small electric Conveyor belt.
I've been looking for a used one for multiple projects.
May work for what you need.

Outside the box here: is there any area that you could use as a staging area that is at the level of or above your deck? (I'm thinking not, since Lake M is kinda flatlander territory). If there was, you could zipline it to the deck. That could work if your deck is sufficiently beefy and large for you to consider putting a week's worth of wood up there.

Another option would be getting a pulley (like clotheslines in alleys) and carrying it up that way--but that's a lot of upping and downing unless you can get a friend to help or unless that cat is as smart as he looks.

What's the layout like? I'm trying to move wood uphill myself, so have been playing with these ideas a bit. I have an old winch on the front of my 30-year-old Toyota that probably doesn't work anymore, and have thought about trying to pull that into service.

First, I had the advantage of planning and building my deck, so I incorporated a long 60" wide ramp for just this purpose. Second, I use two mechanical aids: http://www.lowes.com/pd_27064-542-LPPCT-10LXATVJD_4294857317_4294937087_?productId=3117715&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Dump+Carts_4294857317_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|1

and also http://www.lowes.com/pd_214397-52314-TC4205F_4294857405_4294937087_?productId=1060059&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Wheelbarrows+Carts_4294857405_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

Big catapult??

Henk

How about a hay elevator? The kind you used to move square bales with. For real.. My dad sold his for $75.

Found this on allcraigslist.com--sadly, not $75:

Central Mi,MI HAY CONVEYOR (23ft.)skeleton style (swartz creek) $350 $350 2011-01-30T12:33:01-05:00 I have a good condition portable conveyor electric motor its not on wheels.CALL(810)223-2171.THANKS

OK, lots of fancy gear available!

However, is there anything wrong with the olden technologies??

A catapult may be a bit too redneck, perhaps but what about this tried and true whatchamacallit device
(I still see it everywhere near farm fences here in the West but have been unable to find out what it is called)

One should either be able to lift several times one's own weight to a limited height or just about one's own weight while swinging it onto a higher deck or platform.

Henk

Attachments

• HandyFarmDevices.gif
    HandyFarmDevices.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 676
Shari said:
Here's how another innovative hearth.com member gets his wood up on his deck: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/68566/

I think that is my favorite setup to date. Relatively simple.

Two issues for me to adopt though - First I don't have a cover over my deck so I'd have to either attach to the side of the house or come up with some sort of stand that can handle the stress that would screw to the floor of the deck. Secondly I don't have any metal working skills and that swing arm looks darn professional to me. Perhaps I can find something like that already made to use...

Drat I now see that I'm going to have to do something like this so here comes a bunch of time designing and experimenting (not to mention $'s).

Our neighbor has a dumb waiter inside that opens right next to his stove on the upper level.

I am so voting for the catapult. And videos thereof. With music.

But for the meanwhile, what about a cargo sled? You might need two of them clipped together like clamshells to keep wood from falling off, but should be able to pull them up the steps. Heck, if I can pull wood up that hillside . . .

Wow! :coolsmile:

Slow1 said:
Drat I now see that I'm going to have to do something like this so here comes a bunch of time designing and experimenting (not to mention $'s).

I feel your pain, brother. :)

Thanks all for the friendly reception, and all the great and/or amusing ideas! :thumbsup: I genuinely appreciate it.

You've all given me much to ponder, so I'll share some thoughts now, hope the conversation continues, and post more as I digest all your great ideas.

First of all, lol at the frontloader and catapult suggestions.

I just read that the DEA seized a catapult that smugglers were trying to use to fling drugs over the border, so maybe this one's available? If they "throw" in the pot, it's a win-giggle situation:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110127/od_nm/us_mexico_catapult_odd

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20110127/i/r2192101016.jpg

But back to the matter at hand.

I'm still hoping for a solution where I can lift the wood once into some sort of cart/wagon/etc. (called the transporter from now on) and then get that thing all the way to my stove, so I only have to lift the wood twice--once into the cart and once into my stove.

All your ideas have potential, with one concern being that the transporter is stable through all this--for example when pulled up a ramp/lifted(/catapulted)/etc. jotul8e2's yellow cart looks pretty promising for that, maybe better than the Landsmann caddy I posted.

To pick a post:

snowleopard said:
Outside the box here: is there any area that you could use as a staging area that is at the level of or above your deck? (I'm thinking not, since Lake M is kinda flatlander territory). If there was, you could zipline it to the deck. That could work if your deck is sufficiently beefy and large for you to consider putting a week's worth of wood up there.

I love "outside the box". My woodpiles are about 60' across my lawn, with a drop (dang it) of maybe 2' over that distance. And my deck/back door is perhaps 4' above grade. But there is a big maple in the middle of the woodpiles, so winching the wood up to a zipline which would then run horizontal to my deck is possible. Advisable? Hmmm... :)

Another option would be getting a pulley (like clotheslines in alleys) and carrying it up that way--but that's a lot of upping and downing unless you can get a friend to help or unless that cat is as smart as he looks.

Actually, Hercules is surprisingly smart and helpful, but Lassie he's not. Supervision, friendly nudges, and the occasional fresh-kill are about the best he's got.

What's the layout like? I'm trying to move wood uphill myself, so have been playing with these ideas a bit. I have an old winch on the front of my 30-year-old Toyota that probably doesn't work anymore, and have thought about trying to pull that into service.

I'm cogitating on that myself, because rolling a cart manually up that snowy 60' of lawn in the winter would be a PITA, deep snow and all.

The idea that comes to mind at the moment is to load the wood in a cart, winch the cart up a ramp (two foot-wide boards or ramps) into the back of my 4x4, slide the ramp into the bed, *drive* the truck to my deck, extend the ramps from the bed to deck (this is pretty much level--I do it all the time), and roll the cart onto my deck. Someone with a greater deck height (Slow1?) could have a taller permanent ramp at his deck, and then run a portable ramp like mine from the truck bed to his permanent ramp, and winch the cart up the ramp--if that's clear and remotely sane.

The winches can be electric--one installed on the truck.

But that's just some initial thoughts. I'll see what else comes along. Thanks to all for all your ideas. Further comments, ideas, jokes, etc. are encouraged!

Good to hear about the cat--nothing like a warm little mousie when you're trying to think to keep the wheels turning. I am pulling wood uphill about 60' myself, but using a cargo sled rather than a cart. I figure it will be easier now than after the snow melts. Tried to break trail by riding the sled downhill, but alas, it had a mind of its own and I had my come-uppance (so to speak) in trudging up through a snow-covered bramble patch.

Something to keep in mind, too, is that many decks are surprisingly underbuilt, and can fail in a rather spectacular fashion if too much weight is dumped on them, so I would resist the urge to store wood on it unless you know that it can take it.

I'm curious about why you store your wood so far from the house. Surely the mousing would be more convenient if it was closer.

I suppose a fishwheel would be overkill. It would have to be hand- or step-cranked rather than river-driven. I actually think that Henk is onto something, given that you only need to make a 4' lift.

That pull-out ramp sounds like a good idea. I'd nail slats onto it to give a little traction in the slippery season.

Well, okay, I'll jump into the discussion:

What about something like a ski lift (circular rope running through one pulley at each end with a 'drive wheel') with a cargo container of some type attached to the rope and being pulling up a ramp?

The cargo container could be one of those large mesh bottomed wagons sitting on a toboggan type surface. Hook the toboggan to the ski lift, put the wagon in the toboggan and attach the wagon to the toboggan, fill the wagon, pull the wagon/toboggan up a ramp on the deck using the ski lift, un-hitch the wagon and pull the wagon inside & park it next to your fireplace. Job done.

Can you tell I've been thinking along the same lines for a while? I don't have to deal with a deck here though.

EDIT: Patent Pending :)

Shari said:
Well, okay, I'll jump into the discussion:

What about something like a ski lift (circular rope running through one pulley at each end with a 'drive wheel') with a cargo container of some type attached to the rope and being pulling up a ramp?

The cargo container could be one of those large mesh bottomed wagons sitting on a toboggan type surface. Hook the toboggan to the ski lift, put the wagon in the toboggan and attach the wagon to the toboggan, fill the wagon, pull the wagon/toboggan up a ramp on the deck using the ski lift, un-hitch the wagon and pull the wagon inside & park it next to your fireplace. Job done.

Can you tell I've been thinking along the same lines for a while? I don't have to deal with a deck here though.

EDIT: Patent Pending :)

Maybe you can join forces with the Russian inventor (now living in Canada) of the $ 1,250 "Portable Ski Lift Tow" by designing a proper little tow cart. The bad news, of course, is that you will have to share your royalties :eek:((

Henk

How about a come along?

snowleopard said:
Good to hear about the cat--nothing like a warm little mousie when you're trying to think to keep the wheels turning.

Yessir, lol! Sorry to here about your bramble encounter. Amusing image though!

Something to keep in mind, too, is that many decks are surprisingly underbuilt, and can fail in a rather spectacular fashion if too much weight is dumped on them, so I would resist the urge to store wood on it unless you know that it can take it.

Excellent advice there. I know mine can't take much. Everything added to my house since 1906 is testament to the dark side of yankee ingenuity--poor practices, cut joists for wires/plumbing, etc. The deck is no exception. I'll have to rebuild it.

I'm curious about why you store your wood so far from the house. Surely the mousing would be more convenient if it was closer.

Well, of course my deck is on the north side, and I'm a tree-planting maniac. So 60' away is the nearest with southern exposure.

I suppose a fishwheel would be overkill. It would have to be hand- or step-cranked rather than river-driven. I actually think that Henk is onto something, given that you only need to make a 4' lift.

Yeah, thanks Shari and Henk, that portable ski lift rocks! I suppose one could fashion one's own, but maybe easier to just use the truck.

That pull-out ramp sounds like a good idea. I'd nail slats onto it to give a little traction in the slippery season

Great idea! You may have just saved my life, and changed history.

Yeah, IceAsSolid, a come along/winch/pully on the hill would work.

CarbonNeutral -- Yeah, I've seen Axemen, and that is quite a fantasy. Of course Axemen usually involves the yarder cable snapping, and cutting through a bunch of trees while grown men scream in terror. ;)

How about getting two wood chucks like in the TV commercial and have them chuck it up on the deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.