Ghost?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harriswr

Sep 29, 2008
Florida
I have a 20 year old heatilator wood burning fireplace, It has started making a loud clunking noise, worse in the mid mornings. Do I need a priest to exorcise it or does anyone have suggestions on what I should look at to quiet it down?

We may need a few hints. Does it have a fan motor? Is this when the fan comes on or is this with the fan off? If it is when the fan is off, I'd start inspecting the interior very carefully for parts or seams separating. If this is a weld that has popped, the unit may be unsafe to burn in.

Thank yo for the reply. It has a blower motor but we never use it and have only used the fireplace twice in 3 years, florida is too warm. Also the sound is like stone hitting stone, and also a spring type noise. it is strange..

It is worse in the mid mornings so i suspected something was expanding and making the noise. It does not do it everyday either. I still suspect Casper is in there.

Given your location, it could also be a (non-supernatural) critter crawling in there. Do you have a chimney cap?

Yep have a cap. It is rusty but seems to be ok. Also seem to have a leak from the same area, a local roofer thinks the leak is from the cap. I have not been able to find anyone locally to replace it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.