Gimme some Sugar...Maple that is ;-)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thistle

Minister of Fire
Dec 16, 2010
Central IA
Wednesday did some work for the neighbor,removed several larger limbs from tree in his neighbors yard that was hanging way over the north fence.Neighbor's 30yr old son was starting to work on it,balancing on a 16ft ladder holding a 33cc Poulan while wearing shorts & sneakers and never having used a saw before *gasp* :gulp: I politely volunteered to do all the climbing & cutting stuff free,since its not my first rodeo lol.This is all what was culled,plus about 1/4th is softer Silver Maple from the other tree along his south fence.Ended up with about 1 level p/u load,nice to have a supply of smaller sticks for kindling & shorter burn times in Fall or Spring evenings.Its very green but Maple dries very fast when stacked in a sunny spot with good airflow.Should be ready to burn by next January,though I wont need it until 2013-14 at the earliest.Running out of space here to store everything :lol:

Pics 2 & 3 are the result.Everyone was pleased,including yours truly. :coolsmirk:

Attachments

• sugarmaple & silver maple 61711.jpg
    sugarmaple & silver maple 61711.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 306
  • hardmaple61511.jpg
    hardmaple61511.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 288
  • hardmaple61511 (2).jpg
    hardmaple61511 (2).jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 299
  • hardmaple61511 (3).jpg
    hardmaple61511 (3).jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 299
Looks like norway maple to me.

You're correct. Looked it up in Audubon Field Guide & couple other books.Still should be great burning though.Thanks for the info.

nrford said:
How the deuce did you deduce that?

Woody Stover said:
nrford said:
How the deuce did you deduce that?

The bark is not h. maple bark. 30+ years experience around sawmills helps!

I hate cutting large limbs. I would rather drop a whole tree. Just seems dangerous to me.

Thistle said:
Wednesday did some work for the neighbor,removed several larger limbs from tree in his neighbors yard that was hanging way over the north fence.[b]Neighbor's 30yr old son was starting to work on it,balancing on a 16ft ladder holding a 33cc Poulan while wearing shorts & sneakers and never having used a saw before *gasp* :gulp[/b]: I politely volunteered to do all the climbing & cutting stuff free,since its not my first rodeo lol.This is all what was culled,plus about 1/4th is softer Silver Maple from the other tree along his south fence.Ended up with about 1 level p/u load,nice to have a supply of smaller sticks for kindling & shorter burn times in Fall or Spring evenings.Its very green but Maple dries very fast when stacked in a sunny spot with good airflow.Should be ready to burn by next January,though I wont need it until 2013-14 at the earliest.Running out of space here to store everything :lol:

Pics 2 & 3 are the result.Everyone was pleased,including yours truly. :coolsmirk:

OMG!!!!!!

This is how people get hurt bad. This is also why all the charts say running the saw is so dangerous. It is because untrained people do stupid things. This guy has never run a saw before and then he climbs up on a 16' ladder?!! An ideal recipe for disaster.

Thistle, thank you for helping in this case. You may have saved that man's life!

btw, it was not that long ago when a fellow did this same thing. Cut the limb that was above him while he was up the tree. The limb snapped before the butt was cut completely which caused the limb to come right back and slap the tree. Trouble was that he happened to be between said limb and tree. They had to call the fire department to get him down. The funeral was 4 days later.

Status
Not open for further replies.