Gin - begreen's beloved elixir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If it’s not gin, it’s not actually a martini. It’s vodka and olives. :p

I came across this related and fairly entertaining read, a few weeks ago, while trying to find my “pandemic” source for vermouth as all of the PA stores had closed. You might enjoy it.

When I ordered them at the bar I called them dirty martinis, which I supposed is befitting of them not being the OG.

When I ordered them at the bar I called them dirty martinis, which I supposed is befitting of them not being the OG.
Dirty refers to the inclusion of olive juice. I’m just picking on you with the vodka thing... people will call just about anything in a highball glass a “martini”, these days.

But you do owe it to yourself to find a gin you like. Wonderful stuff. Try the recipe I started this thread with, and just use Martini and Rossi dry vermouth, which is pretty benign. Then you can graduate to some of the more flavorful vermouths. :)

Dirty refers to the inclusion of olive juice. I’m just picking on you with the vodka thing... people will call just about anything in a highball glass a “martini”, these days.

But you do owe it to yourself to find a gin you like. Wonderful stuff. Try the recipe I started this thread with, and just use Martini and Rossi dry vermouth, which is pretty benign. Then you can graduate to some of the more flavorful vermouths. :)
I've only ever tried Martini brand dry vermouth and that bottle lasted for an eternity. Maybe I even tossed it during a move. I personally hate those tall conical stemmed glasses and prefer a highball or tumbler. I can't hold a martini glass without spilling it, at least I never have.

Geez... you are missing out on a tradition enjoyed by most of the western world! I can lead a horse to water...

Reactions: SpaceBus
Have you tried Nautical Gin?

Been a gin drinker since I had some locally concocted variant in a less-than-reputable joint in a dingy village in Okinawa back in the early 80s. Grew up on vodka but gin is so much better. With that being said, as for the Nautical Gin, I did not care for it at all. Just personal preference as I also believe Bombay Sapphire is akin to licking sandpaper and I detest Tanqueray (although Tanqueray Rangpur is decent).

Since the staple Beefeater (excellent neat, on the rocks, or as a mixer) was ruled out by Ashful, a few gin recommendations from my cabinet are Gunpowder Irish, Monkey 47 Schwarzwald (Germany), Cold River (brewed next door in Maine), Tamworth Garden White Mountain Gin (brewed here in NH), Right Gin (Sweden) and Death's Door (Wisconsin).

Since the staple Beefeater (excellent neat, on the rocks, or as a mixer) was ruled out by Ashful, a few gin recommendations from my cabinet are Gunpowder Irish, Monkey 47 Schwarzwald (Germany), Cold River (brewed next door in Maine), Tamworth Garden White Mountain Gin (brewed here in NH), Right Gin (Sweden) and Death's Door (Wisconsin).
Thanks, Sarge! But to be clear, Beefeater was not ruled out, it’s just already in my cupboard, I am never without it.

38B78502-3DD6-4684-9F88-639B7BEBE172.jpeg

Reactions: EODMSgt
Thanks, Sarge! But to be clear, Beefeater was not ruled out, it’s just already in my cupboard, I am never without it.

View attachment 259950

Amen to that! I purchased six of the 1.75 liter bottles of Beefeater when this coronapocalypse first started so I wouldn't die from lack of martinis.

Reactions: Highbeam