Glad the 6041 a Multi -Fuel !!! (Corn $6.25 a bushel)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emmelch1

Dec 7, 2010
Chesapeake City, MD
Just wanted to throw out some info. , I went to buy some corn for the deer , and was shocked to see it was up to $6.25 a bushel, the farmer sells it to Me at market price. I had burnt a couple bushels a few weeks ago( $5.50) . I mixed about 10-15 pounds of corn to a bag of pellets, seemed to burn OK , kinda just wanted to see if the stove would eat them !!!

Should be able to burn straight corn in that stove if the price is right, but don't forget to mix in some "chicken scratch" to the corn.

imacman said:
Should be able to burn straight corn in that stove if the price is right, but don't forget to mix in some "chicken scratch" to the corn.

"Chicken scratch" ?

Chicken scratch = ground up oyster shells....helps the corn not stick together to form a big clinker.

From the "cornstoveforum":

"When you combust corn, it actually liquefies the kernel just prior to ignition. The residue from ignition forms globs or clinkers in the burn pot that adhere to the agitator and to the burn pot itself.

One way to reduce the clinker is to add 'Chicken Scratch' or calcium carbonate' to the fuel in the hopper. A quarter cup per hopper is more than enough but the easiest way is to add WOOD PELLETS to the corn mix.

It's been my experience in the past that the addition of wood pellets to the corn in a ratio of a pound of pellets to 10 pounds of corn (1-10) provides enough pellets to reduce the clinkers to a manageable level plus the pellets burn. The Calcium Carbonate don't, and the Calcium leaves a powdery residue behind, coting the interior of the appliance with a white dust."

I see! Nice explaination there imacman ! Learn something new every visit here. :)

Actually chicken scratch is a seed mixture that contains millo, cracked corn, and a couple of other seed grains.

Oyster shell is well, oyster shell.

My 19 gals love both their scratch (they will dig for hours where ever you place it, it is used to entice them to turn their litter over) and oyster shell (calcium source).

emmelch1 said:
Corn @6.25 , I'll stick to the pellets !!!

Chicken feed here is at $13.10 for 50#. I bought 200 lbs of it and 50 lbs of scratch yesterday afternoon.

Eggs (and other things) will likely be going up.

emmelch1 said:
At $6.25 a bushel (56#'s) I'll be glad when deer season closes for the year, at $13.00 I'll stick to buying hamburger or a nice steak !!!

I have some nice hamburger and some deer steak in the freezer. Traded eggs for the hamburger and was given a couple packages of deer steak.

Every time I checked corn prices around Boston it worked out that the cost per BTU was way higher than wood pellets. Never mind the maintenance being more work too.
I would like to find a good source of some cherry pits or nut shells to try. But with the current wood pellet prices who could complain.

What about using crushed clam shells for adding lubrication to the corn?

Status
Not open for further replies.