Glass Cleaners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Been using the ash method and it works well but I thought I heard that certain cleaners contain additives (silicone?) that conditions the glass so dirt does not stick as easily. Anyone know if this is true? I'd like to pick something up since I figure sooner or later I'm going to dab the ash and pick up some sand.

BTW there has been some talk about not using glass plus on the glass/ceramic so I stopped using it. I was at a stove shop the other day and the product they carried contained ammonia like glass plus cleaner.

I use some cleaner I got at the stove shop called Red Devil Woodstove Glass Cleaner, works great The ingrediants print is too small for me to read, but it sure smells like amonia to me, I have read here also that folks say don't use it but I don't know where they get their info.

On the bottle it says (www.meecomfg.com) The ash thing works so so, but nothing like this stuff. Ever so often I detail my stove out to showroom brand new condition. I am going to look this site up myself, I know what amonia smells like and its in this bottle, anyway I have been using it for 2 yrs and works great.

Good Luck

This has to be some sort of record for the most glass cleaning threads to start the burning season.

BrowningBAR said:
This has to be some sort of record for the most glass cleaning threads to start the burning season.

Probably. Tells you of the state of the economy .

I use ammonia, sprayed on a PT. And scrub. The next hot fire usually takes care of the residue.

BrowningBAR said:

I thought it was a record for Oak Haters

cptoneleg said:
BrowningBAR said:

Oak Haters?

BrowningBAR said:

Ahh, but this is about glass cleaners not cleaning the glass. Very different.

Cptoneleg, I was wondering how ammonia could damage ceramic but figured better listen in case there was something to it. With your info and the other product I saw I'm thinkin' glass plus ain't gonna hurt nothing. Stove glass cleaners prob just a bit stronger.

BrowningBAR said:
cptoneleg said:
BrowningBAR said:

Oak Haters?

Folks who swear they will never bring home a stick of Oak again. because it sizzles or hisses or something like that, but you are right their are plenty of ways to clean glass. :lol:

cptoneleg said:
BrowningBAR said:
cptoneleg said:
BrowningBAR said:

Oak Haters?

Folks who swear they will never bring home a stick of Oak again. because it sizzles or hisses or something like that, but you are right their are plenty of ways to clean glass. :lol:

If these poor souls are in the SE PA area they can drop off all of that awful wood onto my driveway.

I don't know what is in it but that bottle of dollar store window cleaner is on its sixth year and that glass looks fine. In all of the stoves. I have to clean the little ones and the pellet puppy daily when I use'em. The 30-NC is the prime mover and it only needs it every month or two.

BrotherBart said:
I don't know what is in it but that bottle of dollar store window cleaner is on its sixth year and that glass looks fine. In all of the stoves. I have to clean the little ones and the pellet puppy daily when I use'em. The 30-NC is the prime mover and it only needs it every month or two.

I haven't cleaned the Encore, yet. The Heritage I've cleaned once. The reason being is that splits lean against the glass far more often on the Heritage than on the Encore.

BrotherBart said:

Only reason I purchased that was I didn't want to mess up the glass, because you read it on here all the time don't use anything with ammonia in it. Anyway this stuff I purchased reaks of ammonia, but when I look up ingrediants it says strong secret formula.

BrotherBart said:

I think I'm prob being a bit picky w/ the glass but my bricks are dirty too. Some will say burn hotter but the thermo on top has been to 600+ pretty regularly and not really interested in going much hotter. The burn tubes and top of firebox is clean. In fact I slid one of the skamol bricks outta the way today so I could inspect the flue a little and looks OK.

A stray brick will clean up a bit when a log happens to burn right against it but overall they are black/brown.

jatoxico said:
BrotherBart said:

I think I'm prob being a bit picky w/ the glass but my bricks are dirty too. Some will say burn hotter but the thermo on top has been to 600+ pretty regularly and not really interested in going much hotter. The burn tubes and top of firebox is clean. In fact I slid one of the skamol bricks outta the way today so I could inspect the flue a little and looks OK.

A stray brick will clean up a bit when a log happens to burn right against it but overall they are black/brown.

J, ya got wet wood.

jatoxico said:
...my bricks are dirty too...overall they are black/brown.

OK, what does everyone use to clean their bricks?

fossil said:
jatoxico said:

I do windows but I don't do BRICKS :lol:

fossil said:
jatoxico said:

Hey hey! That's not what I mean. Wondering if I should let the stove run out a little.

Eileen I don't think the woods wet, at least according to the meter but I may be shutting down the air too quick. I should have a sweep come out by the end of the month though in case you are right and I'm dirtying up the works.

One good hot fire and those bricks will turn damn near snow white again. Run the thing hotter, consistently and don't close that air down so far.

pen

fossil said:
jatoxico said:

Heat.

With an E/W load like the 550, probably with the blower going, uses the stuff is cooking out of the ends of the splits against the cooler bricks and sticking. Yeah, there is a wood dryness question here. Put in a half load of really small stuff and crank it up and watch that stuff burn off the bricks. Leave the blower off for this.

pen said:
One good hot fire and those bricks will turn damn near snow white again. Run the thing hotter, consistently and don't close that air down so far.

pen

OK I asked this once before but no one wanted to venture a guess. I have a Rutland thermo laid flat on top (in vent). It's meant to be vertical maybe on a stove pipe. You think it may be trapping heat and therefore reading too high? The temp goes to 600+ and I start to back off. I have never loaded the stove because of this.

My intuition is that the stove should be able to be filled pretty good with hardwood but according to my thermo I would go nuclear.

jatoxico said:
pen said:

pen

OK I asked this once before but no one wanted to venture a guess. I have a Rutland thermo laid flat on top (in vent). It's meant to be vertical maybe on a stove pipe. You think it may be trapping heat and therefore reading too high? The temp goes to 600+ and I start to back off. I have never loaded the stove because of this.

My intuition is that the stove should be able to be filled pretty good with hardwood but according to my thermo I would go nuclear.

Something seems off here.

Get an IR thermometer and see if the temp reads differently. Any EPA stove should be able to be packed full and still be run safely.

BrowningBAR said:
jatoxico said:
pen said:

pen

Something seems off here.

Get an IR thermometer and see if the temp reads differently. Any EPA stove should be able to be packed full and still be run safely.

I have one BBAR but it's hard to get a true reading in the vent due to the angle. Been using it to shoot the flue collar and near the thermo as best I can. Seemed close at the temps I can read (400+) but the cheapy unit (HF) I have does not read high enough though and eventually just says Hi or something (can't find the pamphlet).

I'm with you though, most users are not on this site monitoring every little thing, just pack it full and let 'er rip. And I can't believe Jotul would make a stove that overheats on 1/4 maybe 1/2 loads but I'm topping out 600+ on these types of loads so I take it easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.