GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado considers relaxing Ban on wood pellet stoves, wood stoves, fireplaces and

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I can barely see any smoke from my pellet stove. Do pellet stoves pollute??

From http://www.pelletstovesguide.com/pellet-stove-comparisons-compare-pellet-stoves.htm
"In fact, pellet stoves are the cleanest of solid fuel-burning residential heating appliances."

From
http://www.postindependent.com/article/20110426/VALLEYNEWS/110429893/1083&ParentProfile=1074

A burning issue: City may relax woodstove ban
Cleaner-burning options now said to exist
John Stroud
Post Independent Staff
Glenwood Springs, CO Colorado

GLENWOOD SPRINGS, Colorado — The city of Glenwood Springs is considering whether to relax its ban on wood-burning stoves to allow residents to install newer stoves that are marketed as being more clean-burning than their predecessors.

The city, in 1995, prohibited the installation of any new solid fuel-burning devices, such as woodstoves, pellet stoves, fireplaces and coal burners.

Stoves that existed prior to that time were allowed to remain, and can still be replaced with an EPA-certified woodstove that complies with the more stringent pollution requirements established by the federal government in 1992.

Since that time, stoves have been designed to be even more clean-burning, said Glenwood Springs resident Craig Ullmann.

Ullmann said he would like to install a newer wood-burning stove in his home, but found out he couldn't under the city regulations.

He asked City Council last month to review its ordinance, and consider changes that might allow the newer stoves to be installed by those who wish to do so.

City planner A'Lissa Gerum said the rules were put in place in an effort to control pollution and reduce the health risk from woodsmoke in and around Glenwood Springs.

Technology is constantly improving to help reduce the amount of emissions from solid fuel-burning stoves, she said.

But, without a way to enforce proper installation and maintenance once the stoves are in operation, there's no way to ensure that they are actually less-polluting over the long run, Gerum said.

City council reviewed the ordinance in 2005 but decided to leave it as is. But some new council members said they might be willing to relax the rules.

The existing code already has some enforcement challenges, councilman Todd Leahy said.

“My take is that people who want to burn wood are probably already doing it,†he said. “I don't think we're getting much compliance now without any way to enforce it.â€

The only enforcement from the building department comes at the time a certificate of occupancy is issued for new construction or a remodel. After that, if someone illegally installs a woodstove, it would have to come to the city's attention by a citizen complaint, Gerum said.

Leahy said that, from the fireplace dealers he has spoken with, the stoves are much cleaner-burning than even 10 years ago.

“It seems to me that if people want to burn wood, I'm OK with them doing that,†he said.

[email protected]

My stoves only produce a small amount of smoke on start-up. Termination is 14" from siding. Have never had a soot, smoke, or Ash issue.

DexterDay said:
[My stoves only produce a small amount of smoke on start-up. Termination is 14" from siding. Have never had a soot, smoke, or Ash issue.

My stove's flue goes into a 25 foot high lined chimney. Most of the ash precipitates out before reaching the top. The wood pellet ash can easily be cleaned from the chimney cleanout at the base!

I dont understand why they could Grandfather an OLD coal stove, but not let a "Modern" and "Efficient" Pellet, Wood, or Modern Coal stove burn in there town? Modern Stoves are a wonderful thing. We dont know how long the Dino-Fuel we keep pumping will last.

On a side note ---- Osama Bin Laden is Dead.... Just seen it on Fox news. Doesnt mean that fuel will get cheaper... In fact, they may make it increase more!!!! Glad I do not burn LP anymore. Wood and Wood Pellets only.

Status
Not open for further replies.