Q&A Global Warming and Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm not a tree hugger, but I couldn't help putting an article on global warming I read yesterday (in the Economist, I think) ... Australia really skated in the Kyoto conference... Australia is thought to be #2 in the world (after Brazil) in the destruction of native forests...

Maybe an article on how to use wood stoves in light of global concerns... comparison to electricity (i.e, oil power plants)...

Answer:

Yes, this is an important point. Basically, the answer is all good news...but that may have to wait for an extensive article.

1. Firewood is generally available without cutting new growth...just thinning, ice storms, utility clearing, lot clearing and gypsy moth damage, etc.
2. Clean burning stoves of today emit very little visible smoke.
3. Wood emits the same amount of CO2 whether it rots on the forest floor or is burned in a stove..so no increase in greenhouse gases.

Even better news is that the planting and maintaining of forests chews up CO2 and creates fresh air for all of us!

Status
Not open for further replies.