Gloves...again...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gpcollen1

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2007
Western CT
Just looking through a Northern Safety and Industrial Catalog here at work and found the gloves I wanted at some pretty darn good prices. I know folks have recommended the Atlas Fits. Anyone try these Ruf-flex gloves? The Ruf-flex air is made with foam latex. Any idea how that will hold up?

http://www.northernsafety.com/Search?skw=ruf-flex&st=1

I think I am going to get some:

Atlas Fit...
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/121-1487/Atlas-Fit-Rubber-Palm-Coated-Hand-Protection-Gloves

Some NS Performer to compare them to ...
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/126-22067/NS-Performer-Rubber-Coated-String-Knit-Work-Gloves

And then some of the nicer welding gloves to go along with my cheapos...
http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/123-3800/NS-Hand-Protection-MIG-TIG-Pro-Welding-Gloves

I have used that product. Starts off pretty well then just breaks down. If your hands do a lot of sweating, they really get one hell of a funk smell going on.

KC

Personally I like inexpensive split leather/cloth backed gloves that I buy on sale for 20 dollars per dozen.

Whenever I am cutting wood I always have extra on hand for the kids to be able to help out.

iskiatomic said:
I have used that product. Starts off pretty well then just breaks down. If your hands do a lot of sweating, they really get one hell of a funk smell going on.KC
Like some dirty feet, even after taking the gloves off, your hands smell so bad. wash them, nope still funky. I use a new pair every 2 days at my work. We have used the ruf-tex, gojo, nitra-blue, and every other brand out there, they are all the same. some are just more expensive. dosent really mattter how long they last, because they start to smell before they wear out.

For wood harvesting I use those bulk yellow gloves you get at TSC. Sure they don't hold up long but there so inexpensive who care? Also if your looking for longevity you can duck tape 'em as hole appear. For inside stove loading ...good leather gloves are required.

Well I ordered some of the ruf-flex and the Atlas fit to try them out. I did not realize these guys were in NY so looks like they will arrive today. Just trying to try some of the others folks have mentioned. I wore a hole in one finger stacking some wood the other day - and the gloves were brand new. I guess I will see how they hold up and how bad my hands smell.

CTwoodburner said:
... I wore a hole in one finger stacking some wood the other day - and the gloves were brand new.
You might want to consider putting those on the boat back to China, or where ever else they might have come from. I process firewood year round, averaging well over an hour a day. This includes dropping trees, bucking, splitting by hand, and stacking. I use the kind that Lowroadacres does, and am still on the same 2 pair that I started with in the beginning of Spring. I think the ones that you got must be for changing diapers. Maybe if they're recycled, that's what the smell is :lol:

Yup Northern Safety is right around the corner from where I work.Nice big building,and they have in stock almost everything I have needed.I even have a friend who works in sales and they get some free samples to hand out to customers. Sweet deal all the way around.

let me strt by saying i'm not a "glove" guy, but we are forced to where gloves while doing most anything at the "nuke plant". the plant provides us with these free as part of the safety program. they are pretty durable and offer amazing dexterity. i picked up a 10-32 washer off the pavement with them just yesterday. UNFORTUNATELY i have no idea where to buy them. brand name is "G-tec"

Attachments

• gloves.jpg
    gloves.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 536
also avialable in KEVLAR. durable as hell, not as much dexterity and a little warm but an awesome wood cutting/handling glove. no idea on what they might cost

Attachments

• glove 2.jpg
    glove 2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 516
Pineburner said:
iskiatomic said:
I have used that product. Starts off pretty well then just breaks down. If your hands do a lot of sweating, they really get one hell of a funk smell going on.KC
Like some dirty feet, even after taking the gloves off, your hands smell so bad. wash them, nope still funky. I use a new pair every 2 days at my work. We have used the ruf-tex, gojo, nitra-blue, and every other brand out there, they are all the same. some are just more expensive. dosent really mattter how long they last, because they start to smell before they wear out.

Pineburner after you wash your hands you can take the tooth paste closeup and wash your hands again and that should take care of the smell.

zap

I have been using these Ruf-flex for a few month and have not even touched the Atlas Fit unless I needed something water proof. My goodness these gloves are awesome - great grip, great durability - amazing. I have been doing a renovation of my screened porch to living space as well as all the other wood, yard, leaves and other chores. Been using these gloves all the time and have not even worn out one pair. It has gotten worn down a bit but not out yet...

The only con to these is when using a drill and holding the screw. The gloves can actually grip a bit too much to the drywall or wood screws and get pulled with the screw in motion. Not that big a deal but something to watch out for.

Now I can use these as my workhorse gloves for just about everything and keep the good gloves for certain chores. No more wearing through fingers on my Mechanix gloves or others...

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/121-27505/NS-Ruf-flex-Air-Foam-Latex-Coated-Work-Gloves

feelingasi said:
let me strt by saying i'm not a "glove" guy, but we are forced to where gloves while doing most anything at the "nuke plant". the plant provides us with these free as part of the safety program. they are pretty durable and offer amazing dexterity. i picked up a 10-32 washer off the pavement with them just yesterday. UNFORTUNATELY i have no idea where to buy them. brand name is "G-tec"

I use the same gloves. Your hands don't get too hot in the summer.

Those cloth and blue Kevlar ones can be had for $10 or less per pair. I found a set that was supposed to be the winter grade, with better fabric on the back of the hand portion and cuff... I really liked them... because they are water proof they don't have to be very thick to be warm.

Well I got up this morning picking up wet poop bare handed. Afternoon wasn't quite as pleasant......Always have a share pair of gloves on hand ALWAYS! If you don't like them I am sure at some point they will become your best friend!

I have really been having a problem finding decent winter gloves. I do not like thinsulate. Good winter gloves should have a pile lining and also be a tough leather for handling wood. I was shocked when a couple days ago we went to the city where there is a big TSC store. Absolutely no winter gloves at all! Wow! Checked Lowe's as we had to go there. They had the same as TSC. I have to wonder just who does the ordering for these places...

Some of the Chinese leather products really do smell bad. Not sure why that should be the case. I am generally reluctant to order them over the internet, as I usually want to apply a sniff test.

Backwoods Savage said:
I have really been having a problem finding decent winter gloves. I do not like thinsulate. Good winter gloves should have a pile lining and also be a tough leather for handling wood. I was shocked when a couple days ago we went to the city where there is a big TSC store. Absolutely no winter gloves at all! Wow! Checked Lowe's as we had to go there. They had the same as TSC. I have to wonder just who does the ordering for these places...

I hear that. I was in Lowes and HD for other parts and was looking for a general purpose winter glove and there was really nothing I would buy. That is until I found the Mechanix winter gloves. I figured it was worth $20 as I don't usually use the good gloves for stuff that wears them out that quickly. I just have to keep the fingers warm so they don't start aching.

I have had pretty good luck with Home Depot. Sometimes they have good sales on gloves (if your hand size fits).

Status
Not open for further replies.