Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heffergm

Nov 24, 2009
South Shore, MA
Can someone recommend me some gloves that I can't destroy in a month or less? Bought a pair of stihl gloves and they're toast after a few weeks of cutting/lifting/splitting. Same goes for the cheapies I've bought at lowes in the past.

Something water resistant/proof would be nice ad well.

hey heff,
Backwoods savage just did a post on gloves a short time ago.
type "gloves" into the search and have a look
rn

I buy those cheap leather working gloves at Lowes/HD by the dozen. $25 worth of those gloves last way longer than *ANY* $25 name-brand gloves. If I'm working in the damp, I change gloves frequently. Just line them all up on the hearth in the evening to dry (sometimes there are 8 pair drying).

I'm with Peter above....I just keep replacing my $4 pairs about five times per season. I prefer destroying cheap gloves to destroying expensive gloves! I actually tend to find the cheapo gloves more comfortable most of the time...right up until they blow out. ha.

We just use the knit gloves dipped in rubber they are tough and last a long time and give a good grip.
I buy a 20 pack every fall .
Concrete block wears them out in a few weeks , but i think you could get years out of them with wood
My wife washes them and rolls then like socks. John

I buy gloves at Ocean State Job Lot at a very reasonable price... There should be one near you.. Just get extras so you have spares..

Ray

I get the Atlas FIT or Therma FIT knit gloves with the natural rubber coating - surprisingly warm for their weight, give a really good feel and dexterity, and WAY outwear the more expensive leather gloves for handling firewood... I get them in bulk from Cooper Safety Supply, which drops my cost down to $2-3 / pair... I've mentioned them several times in the past, do the search for lengthier reviews...

Haven't tried the Ocean State gloves recommended above, but I have tried the Harbor Freight equivalents to the FIT gloves and they just don't hold up any where near as well...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I get the Atlas FIT or Therma FIT knit gloves with the natural rubber coating - surprisingly warm for their weight, give a really good feel and dexterity, and WAY outwear the more expensive leather gloves for handling firewood... I get them in bulk from Cooper Safety Supply, which drops my cost down to $2-3 / pair... I've mentioned them several times in the past, do the search for lengthier reviews...

Haven't tried the Ocean State gloves recommended above, but I have tried the Harbor Freight equivalents to the FIT gloves and they just don't hold up any where near as well...

Gooserider

Hello Goose,
Those gloves you mention sound similar to the ones I got at Ocean State and they did hold up pretty good and kept your hands comfortable too.. I used them for construction quite a bit and they held well for pulling cables and they were cheap enough to toss out when they got filthy.. Sounds like yours are better quality and will hold up better too. I hate to spend too much moolah on something I know will get ruined..

Ray

They are the most comfortable that I've been able to find - and I only toss them when the rubber coating starts to vanish from them - usually on the thumb and first couple of fingers... Bonus is they can be tossed in the wash with the rest of the grubbies - gets the dirt out, although they still look stained. I do the normal permanent press warm wash / cold rinse cycle in the laundry, no bleach, along with all the other clothes in the pile. I try not to run them through the dryer, though the times I've missed and let one get in, it doesn't seem to have done it any harm...

I've occasionally thought about trying to recoat the worn out spots w/ Shoe Goo or equivalent, but for the cost of the gloves, I'm not sure it would be worth the effort...

Gooserider

Gooserider said:

Gooserider
Bingo , I couldn't think of the name Atlas glove are very tough .

wellbuilt home said:
We just use the knit gloves dipped in rubber they are tough and last a long time and give a good grip.
I buy a 20 pack every fall .
Concrete block wears them out in a few weeks , but i think you could get years out of them with wood
My wife washes them and rolls then like socks. John

I bought some of the rubber/stretch-knit gloves and they are great for handling wood. I use the nicer gloves for when I need something warmer but not to handle wood or rock.

I’m with Peter above….I just keep replacing my $4 pairs about five times per season. I prefer destroying cheap gloves to destroying expensive gloves!

^...and I would be with THEM.
7165372.jpg

You buy these ^in a 10 pact when there on sale when they get a hole it them you can toss them and move on. I have a few pair I even duct taped for garden chores. Just say'en these yellow fuzzy gloves have a slightly better grip than the brown gloves.

While not as good as leather there is something to say about the convenience of having a serviceable pair everywhere.

I bought a couple pairs of the dipped in rubber knit gloves last week. The first pair held up pretty well after a day of cutting carrying, loading and unloading a cord or so yesterday. I bought the ones that claimed to be warmer and I survived a day of 16 °F with up to 40 mph gusts. I think they said it was about 2 with wind chill. I never used this kind of glove before, but after reading about 'em here, I tried 'em. I don't know the brand, I bought them at Home Depot.

I watch for gloves at yardsales as the wife has me haul her around every week in the summer. I never pay more than $1 for leather and less for other types and I have more than I can ever wear out. I just take several pairs out and change tham when they get wet and dry them whaen I come in. works for me and it's cheap. If you live here in Michigan don't take this advise as I don't want my supply to dry up.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.