Gloves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remmy122

Jan 7, 2011
East NC
Was at Tractor Supply today looking at work gloves, I was curious what types people use? Id been using the cheap-o gloves and tired of spending money on junk that doesnt work.

I have a hard time finding a good pair of gloves...my hands are very large and most wont fit.
I got some Wolverine gloves that were pretty good and let my father wear them one day. I havent seen them since...ha

Heavy Leather gloves with reinforced palms work pretty well but wood splitting/stacking still wears out the fingers pretty quick. Buying cheap leather work gloves in bulk is prolly the least expensive route.

I use these most of the time but they are far from invincible. I go about 1 season with a pair. YMMV

http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/Proscaper-gloves.html

fossil said:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/79073/

This is just the most recent glove thread. If you do a search you'll undoubtedly find a whole bunch more.

Interesting thread, but Im looking for gloves to use while cutting/splitting/stacking. (FIL hooked me up with some good welding gloves) Sorry should have been more specific. Ill search the old threads later when I have more time.

I can't find good durable gloves. My favorite are just a leather work glove, the rough cowhide type. When I need some that will last I get those woven type that are dipped in rubber or silicone or whatever. They seem to hold up longer and are pretty good at keeping your hands dry. I'll see if I can find pics of the two I tend to buy...

RANCH---PET-LEATHER-GLOVES-HT35626.gif

Viking-Alliance-Rubber-Dipped-BEN-_i_lbw152479.jpg

Atlas fit--12 pairs for $28 shipped on eBay. Last you a lifetime. Rock and roll.

S

thinkxingu said:
Atlas fit--12 pairs for $28 shipped on eBay. Last you a lifetime. Rock and roll.

S
If I could get 12 pairs of gloves to last me a lifetime, then I'd pay a heck of a lot more than 28 bucks for them. I need to check these out, but I'm skeptical. I mean, I go through a nice pair of cowhide gloves in a week of hard work, so if these lasted 4 times as long then I'd still be buying new gloves in a couple of years. (cause it's not like I work that hard every week!)

I can't imagine that I'm harder on gloves than anybody else. Grandpa would probably scoff at my whining. God gave him a pair of tough gloves, but as much as I like Mrs. Danno, I don't want my hands being as rough as his ;)

Shadow&Flame; said:
I have a hard time finding a good pair of gloves...my hands are very large and most wont fit.
I got some Wolverine gloves that were pretty good and let my father wear them one day. I havent seen them since...ha

same here, they are more uncomfortable than useful
do not wear any if I do white cotton throwaways

Danno77 said:
thinkxingu said:

S
If I could get 12 pairs of gloves to last me a lifetime, then I'd pay a heck of a lot more than 28 bucks for them. I need to check these out, but I'm skeptical. I mean, I go through a nice pair of cowhide gloves in a week of hard work, so if these lasted 4 times as long then I'd still be buying new gloves in a couple of years. (cause it's not like I work that hard every week!)

I can't imagine that I'm harder on gloves than anybody else. Grandpa would probably scoff at my whining. God gave him a pair of tough gloves, but as much as I like Mrs. Danno, I don't want my hands being as rough as his ;)

I bought a dozen of the Atlas fit at the same time i bought the ruf-flex. I like the Atlas fit just fine and they last a long time but they are just not as comfortable or flexible as the Ruf-flex...and i don't need my gloves to be waterproof all the time. Last time i wore them i was working with concrete.

I'd bet $$ that they last more than 4x longer than regular or even good 'normal' work gloves. I have worn through a finger in one day of hard work with regular gloves, even the more expensive ones. Both the Atlas fit and the ruf-flex should last significantly longer than regular gloves. Many don't want to try them or believe it but it is truth. The only complaint i can get on board with is the potential for your hands to smell a bit like rubber when done - but find that only when the ruf-flex gloves get wet while you are working. It all comes off with a bit of hand washing anyway...

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/121-1487/Atlas-Fit-Rubber-Palm-Coated-Hand-Protection-Gloves

I wear the black and red Air Foam and am looking to try some of the others at some point.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Search?skw=ruf-flex&st=1

CTwoodburner said:
Danno77 said:
thinkxingu said:

S

I bought a dozen of the Atlas fit at the same time i bought the ruf-flex. I like the Atlas fit just fine and they last a long time but they are just not as comfortable or flexible as the Ruf-flex...and i don't need my gloves to be waterproof all the time. Last time i wore them i was working with concrete.

I'd bet $$ that they last more than 4x longer than regular or even good 'normal' work gloves. I have worn through a finger in one day of hard work with regular gloves, even the more expensive ones. Both the Atlas fit and the ruf-flex should last significantly longer than regular gloves. Many don't want to try them or believe it but it is truth. The only complaint i can get on board with is the potential for your hands to smell a bit like rubber when done - but find that only when the ruf-flex gloves get wet while you are working. It all comes off with a bit of hand washing anyway...

http://www.northernsafety.com/Product/121-1487/Atlas-Fit-Rubber-Palm-Coated-Hand-Protection-Gloves

I wear the black and red Air Foam and am looking to try some of the others at some point.

http://www.northernsafety.com/Search?skw=ruf-flex&st=1

A dozen pair of Atlas gloves might not last you a lifetime but I usually get about a year out of a pair and I get them free (I work for them). I prefer the Atlas 317 which are same as the blue but with orange dip over florescent yellow liner.

http://www.conney.com/Product_-Show...loves_50001_10102_-1_238064_11300_11296_11294

Also love Atlas...glow in the dark gloves, now that's something I had not thought about!

Was at cheap Chinese product tent at a flea market this weekend and found some rubber/latex palmed woven type gloves. Ten came in a package and they cost four bucks. Figured I might try them just for fun at that price. Not a single marking on the package or gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.