Glowboy Insert needed a new Auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny1720

Burning Hunk
Mar 6, 2007
The Great North East
Any one here ever seen an Auger actually worn out? I was fixing a friends Glowboy Insert for them, they were going through an auger motor ever other season. I noticed that the auger was turning rather hard and it appear be worn down pretty badly. I replaced it last month and the stove seems to be working a lot better.

The new one spins freely by hand the old one would alway hang up a little.

Any one here ever have to replace the auger itself?

Johnny

Yes, auger can warp, but it is more likely that many years of sediment had collected on the auger shaft where is slips into the upper bushing. I have seen this on ALL augers where the up and over feed technique is applied. Very easy to flat file the auger tip down back to metal and quickly polish with a brass brush and reinstall.

If you still have issues you can roll your auger across the floor to see if in fact it is bent, though it rarely ever is.

Status
Not open for further replies.