Glowing Door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
Ok so last night I was getting really nice secondarys, stove was rumbling away and cruising at a steady 550 griddle top temp. Went down to check it just before I went up to bed and noticed the stove door had a slight red hue to it. I decided I'd take the dog out, brush my teeth and check on it after since the griddle temp was still at 550.

After I went back down, about 25 min later, the door was a much brighter red but again the griddle temp was only at 550ish. I decided I better shut the air down and check on it in a little while.

After about another 20min I went back down and the glow had gone and griddle temps dropped to about 480-500.

Any explanations as to what might have happened?
Thanks in advance

If you are running a vintage vigilant like I am (1980), this will happen. My guess is that is was more on the bottom left side? This is right where the air tube comes in. mine does it every once in a while with a big bed of coals. I just open the top and spread them out and push them more to the center and back. Again it shouldn't happen every day but once in a while is normal, at least with mine, I think it has happened to me once so far this year.Enjoy the cold and keep that beast cranking

It seems that Sam has you covered so I am going to go off the wall.

That stove of yours is possessed!

Thanks Sam, it was on the left. Mine is vintage and I knew thats where the air tube sits, and assumed I just had a build up of coals in that spot. This is the first time i've seen it happen so I just wanted to see if it was at all normal.

Thanks for the response, Its 26 degrees here and snowing like a bastard.....Stoves cranking and just wanted to see if I had to worry bout anything!

if your running an old vig. you should have the andirons in it. If the doors are glowing it can warp them out of shape. If they warp there ain't no more. The andirons were an option on the first units so you could fit one more log in, found out the hard way that the doors warped. A lot of times the doors glow when a log is leaning on them.

i

humpin iron said:
if your running an old vig. you should have the andirons in it. If the doors are glowing it can warp them out of shape. If they warp there ain't no more. The andirons were an option on the first units so you could fit one more log in, found out the hard way that the doors warped. A lot of times the doors glow when a log is leaning on them.

Hmmm, unfortunately the andirons arnt in my stove. It does have the bolts though so I guess I could put them in if I could ever find them. Thanks for the advice....any idea where I'd be able to find them?

i

Status
Not open for further replies.