going thru alot of wood this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
We have had unseasonably cold weather here in Michigan this fall. With two stoves running full time Ive gone thru allmost two cords. Way ahead of last year

Yep. We are averaging ten degrees colder day and night than normal. About a cord so far here.

I've been heating almost exclusively with wood so far, and I have gone through about 1 cord here in southern Wisconsin.

Wow - Two full cords?

It has been unseasonably cold here in Western NY as well, 16° this morning, first fires were at the end of September, and been 24x7 since mid-october. I've only went through maybe 1 cord tops.

Maybe twice the rate of the past couple years. Usually have two fires this time of year -morning and late evening. This year we're at 4 - 5. I've gotta go out the back woods this weekend and start moving more of my stash up.

the_dude said:
I've been heating almost exclusively with wood so far, and I have gone through about 1 cord here in southern Wisconsin.

Wow, I am in the burbs of Milw and I have used only about a face cord plus to a half cord tops!

moshiersr said:
Wow - Two full cords?

It has been unseasonably cold here in Western NY as well, 16° this morning, first fires were at the end of September, and been 24x7 since mid-october. I've only went through maybe 1 cord tops.

remember Im running two stoves, and a third part time. Im allmost thru one cord in the F-500 in the house, well will be in a week or so. Ive had her going for two months.

I forgot to mention a portion of the stuff I have burned was real chit wood. I mean it was like balsa, real punkey crap.

Yup, the chill set in a bit early this year - then stalled - and now it seems like winter is getting ready to set in for good.

I think I may be about one cord in by now - maybe a bit shy of that. That is with only one stove going too. I anticipate the other stove humming away during much of December, January and February. I think I may have cut my seasoned supply a bit close this year. maybe splitting some of my older rounds that are marked for next year would be a smart idea - just in case.

Will be bringing in the last 1/4 of the first chord today.....

The best part...have not used ANY fuel oil in the last month. ;-P

Bernie Corrigan will not like me this year. :p

My brother informed me yesterday that if things keep going the way they are that he will run out sometime in march. He started with 31/2 cord.

burntime said:
the_dude said:

Wow, I am in the burbs of Milw and I have used only about a face cord plus to a half cord tops!

It's likely this first bit has not been indicitive of my future usage. First, I started burning my "junk" wood which was mostly cottonwood and basswood. 2/3 of a cord was almost exclusively that stuff. I am now to the "good" rows, so my usage should level off. Plus, I am still learning the stove, and I burnt more than I should have! A couple of weekends in there where the house was around 80 degrees. I'm getting the hang of it now.

Hanko said:
My brother informed me yesterday that if things keep going the way they are that he will run out sometime in march. He started with 31/2 cord.

If he's local there is plenty to be had for purchase if need be.

Oh, and about 1-1/2 cord burnt so far...but that doesn't count all the elm I burnt this fall.

Running the Oslo and the Castine I've burned just under 2 cords of top knotch hardwood. At this rate I will be burning next years wood (only 8 months old) by the end of Feb.

polaris said:
Running the Oslo and the Castine I've burned just under 2 cords of top knotch hardwood. At this rate I will be burning next years wood (only 8 months old) by the end of Feb.
down 2 cords here as well! (silver maple hart wood)

Reverse out here. Warmer than usual. Which is good for me because I'm hoping not to dig into the "almost seasoned" pile too soon.

To all the first year burners, always save your best wood for January and February. If it means not using your stove for parts of Nov/Dec it will be worth it on those stretches of real winter.

woodconvert said:
Hanko said:

Oh, and about 1-1/2 cord burnt so far...but that doesn't count all the elm I burnt this fall.

Michigan has had a very cold Fall.............brrrrrr

I have not had to buy wood but where do you know to get good seasoned wood around our area?

A buddy of mine has been getting cords of White Ash cut and delivered (not split) for $150 for 1 full cord right by your neck of the woods.

I have enough wood to make it this year (I think) and 2 years down the road but I have to think a little ahead of the game.

Cheers, Hiram

What's sort of funny to me is that I burned about a cord of 80-90% pine Oct and Nov. This is my first year burning it- if I had only oak, then I would have burned pretty close to the same amount cord-wise. Glad I put up some pine.

i would say about average although we will be away the entire week of christmas so that will save us some wood for the dee pfreeze, whcih we havent had yet

Hiram Maxim said:
woodconvert said:
Hanko said:

Michigan has had a very cold Fall.............brrrrrr

I have not had to buy wood but where do you know to get good seasoned wood around our area?

A buddy of mine has been getting cords of White Ash cut and delivered (not split) for $150 for 1 full cord right by your neck of the woods.

There are plenty of people around here selling wood...more than I've ever noticed. Most are "you pick up" type places but for a $180 he can get it delivered split (though, i don't like how small most people split). Where bouts' you at Hiram?

AP said, "What’s sort of funny to me is that I burned about a cord of 80-90% pine Oct and Nov. This is my first year burning it- if I had only oak, then I would have burned pretty close to the same amount cord-wise. Glad I put up some pine. "

I'm basically in the same situation. Burned about 70% pine and 30% birch up until this point. I have no point of comparision for Oct/Nov because my first burn last year was Dec. 1st (Day stove was inspected). Comparing with March, though, I bet it would be close to the same amount of wood.

I'm new to burning this year, so I'm still trying to get a handle on how much I'll burn. I assume you all are talking about face cords here right? If you're talking full cords I may have grossly underestimated how much wood I'll use this winter!

phishheadmi said:
I'm new to burning this year, so I'm still trying to get a handle on how much I'll burn. I assume you all are talking about face cords here right? If you're talking full cords I may have grossly underestimated how much wood I'll use this winter!

I won't speak for everyone but I was talking full cords.
How much wood ya got ready to burn???

Status
Not open for further replies.