Gone Fishin'

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewmo

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2006
Topsham, ME
Here's a quick post and huge thanks to my dad who took my brother and I on a week-long fishing trip to Cabo San Lucas, the southern tip of Baja California, a couple weeks ago. An absolutely amazing experience. We landed marlin, dorado (mahi mahi), yellowfin tuna and rooster fish. Pictures below (I'm holding the dorado). We released all the marlin and roosters, and either ate the other fish that day or had it smoked to enjoy over the winter. As any fisherman knows, it's not all about catching the fish, but the experience of being on the water. There were some slow times, but watching schools of porpoise and hundreds of manta rays jumping out of the water breaks up the time nicely. As do the sightings of whales, turtles, dolphins, seals, flying fish and not-shy pelicans who will literally take bait fish out of your hand. We're a fishing family, but I must admit this was a unique experience.

ps - If you're considering a trip to the Cabo now or later, PM me. This was our first trip there and we learned a few things that could make future trips more enjoyable.

Attachments

• DSC00700_1024x768.jpg
    DSC00700_1024x768.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC00579_1024x768.jpg
    DSC00579_1024x768.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 338
  • DSC00682_576x768.jpg
    DSC00682_576x768.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 357
  • DSC00691_576x768.jpg
    DSC00691_576x768.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 342
That sounds and looks like it was a great trip! Congratulations.

Beautiful fish. I can't imagine what a trip like that must cost, but certainly a trip of a life time. Fresh Mahi is delicious.

Time spent fishing with your Dad and brother......... priceless.

I've alwasy wanted to catch a Roosterfish........gotta take that trip one day!

Thanks for the photos.

basswidow said:
Beautiful fish. I can't imagine what a trip like that must cost, but certainly a trip of a life time. Fresh Mahi is delicious.

Time spent fishing with your Dad and brother......... priceless.

BW, absolutely a trip of a lifetime! Not cheap, as you mention, but this is the one trip my dad has been talking about for the last 10 years, if not more. Can't thank him enough for making it happen.

ChillyGator said:
I've alwasy wanted to catch a Roosterfish........gotta take that trip one day!

Thanks for the photos.

Chilly, pound for pound, the rooster fish is the fiercest fighter we've encountered, more so than the marlin when you consider the lighter tackle you're using. In the above photos, my dad's holding about a 30-35 lbs. rooster. The fight lasted about 20 mins., with a successful release. Hooking them is not easy. We were instructed to open the drag. Once the fish hits, let it run on the open drag for about 15-20 secs. Then, tighten the drag and set the hook. I'd go back for the rooster alone, but in the spring when we're told they run in the 60- 80 lbs range. Can not imagine the fun that would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.