Gonna be a warm winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Butcher

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2011
N. central Ia.
Nasty day here yesterday. 40° with a wind chill already. Since it was my B-day I decided to just kick back with some beers and relax. Fired ole Black Sabbath up with some red elm I been waitin all year to burn. Man, does my Oslo love that stuff. Had 1 of the best coal beds this morning I have ever had too. I have access to all the elm I will ever need and am damned happy about that. Just waitin for the corn to get picked so I can get to where it's livin.

Attachments

• IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 157
Looks like your area will get the winds too. Its nice to get the woodstove going during those wind chilled filled days. Be well

Yeah, you look a little chilly in that pic. ==c B-day, what is that, Beer day? So Saturday is your beer day? Heh-heh. "Road to Nowhere," the wood-burner's theme song. No matter how much we chop up, it all disappears and we end up back where we started. ;lol
Now, about this Red Elm...I've got some that was dead standing but I split it sort of big. It was stacked in with some other rows that I'm going to burn this year so it didn't get full wind. It was a hot, dry Summer...do you think it will be good to go? I haven't had a chance yet to bust some splits open and put the meter to 'em. I had some good, dry stuff last year that I burned. It was my first experience with it and I'm also now lovin' that stuff! :cool: There's just something about it. I don't have an unlimited supply like you do, but there's some out there. Whenever I find a dead one, I grab it. That reminds me, there's a small one down in my neighbor's woods that I need to get...

Yeah, you look a little chilly in that pic. ==c B-day, what is that, Beer day? So Saturday is your beer day? Heh-heh. "Road to Nowhere," the wood-burner's theme song. No matter how much we chop up, it all disappears and we end up back where we started. ;lol
Now, about this Red Elm...I've got some that was dead standing but I split it sort of big. It was stacked in with some other rows that I'm going to burn this year so it didn't get full wind. It was a hot, dry Summer...do you think it will be good to go? I haven't had a chance yet to bust some splits open and put the meter to 'em. I had some good, dry stuff last year that I burned. It was my first experience with it and I'm also now lovin' that stuff! :cool: There's just something about it. I don't have an unlimited supply like you do, but there's some out there. Whenever I find a dead one, I grab it. That reminds me, there's a small one down in my neighbor's woods that I need to get...

Mines testing right at 20% now. I would like it to be less but it is burning like nobodies bizness so I'll live with it for now. Next years will be even better. Where I cut at is mostly elm, red and white. Since I like to dump'em when the leaves are gone along with the sap I get some white elm in the pile too. Kinda like tryin to split a bowl fulla noodles but it burns good too.

Reactions: ScotO
I've got quite a bit of red elm...........maybe 2 cords
Was in the woods today and saw 2 more dead standing. Not that big but I like the stuff too and so I will get these

I'd like to try that red elm some time. None of it here.

I'd like to try that red elm some time. None of it here.
Natural range includes all of MI. Look for something with all the bark fallen off. :) Like TimJ said, they don't get real big before Dutch Elm gets 'em.

None here that I know of but burn on sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.