Gonna check out a splitter for sale, Advice wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
A friend of mine has a gas powered hydraulic splitter for sale. I have not seen it yet. All I know about it is that it is a horizontal only setup that may need some work and that he wants $400 for it. I have used a few different rental splitters over the years, but have never owned one and dealt with upkeep, maintenance, repairs, etc. What should I look for when I check it out later in the week?
I'll post more info and pics after I see it.

Make sure the engine runs! (trying to be funny)

I think the biggest problem would be goofed up hydraulics. I would look for leaks. Not sure how to test for internal leaks in the cylinder, but a practical test might be to bring a gnarly piece of wood with you to see how it splits. Don't waste time with a straight piece of oak, ash, etc. Find a twisty piece of elm or other tough wood and try to split it.

Status
Not open for further replies.