Good area to Stack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
My neighbor has an older 6' high stockade fence that divides our properties. There is a 32' long stretch that I have been eyeing for a long stack of wood. Great area because of sun and wind. Knowing the backside of the stack won't receive much exposure.....Is it still a good idea to use the fence run? Oh....my neighbor is fine with it. No problems there. Thanks guys.

Probably depends on how fast you need the wood to dry. It will probably dry faster out in the open with nothing by it. If your not in a huge hurry it will be fine.

So, what type of fence is this? Post and board tight? Post and board open? Wire?

If the fence is a solid fence with no cracks then I would advise against stacking there unless the wood will stay for 3 or more years. But if you keep the stack 3' or more away from the fence you will gain a lot of benefit from the wind, especially if you stack only one row.

Simple board stockade fence. Each section is 6' high by 8' in length attached to 4' x4's. Plenty of sun from about 9am-6pm.

Sun is good for sure but what you really need is air circulation. That is the most important, so I'd advise to stack away from the fence.

Air circulation is a factor, I agree. I have an 8' high Stockade fence (wood) that I installed 10 years ago, around my entire back yard. One day it'll have to be replaced, but it's still going strong for now.

I'm thinking more about "winter" than air flow at this moment, however.

Take into account how far it is from your house (if at all)....how easily you can get to it.....how much of a path you want to shovel......would the winter snow potentially push over the fence, and block the access to your wood in any way.....

stuff like that.

-Soupy1957

I use the fence for my wood also. The way of my land lays, I get a lot of wind at my fence. I tried to single row, perpendicular to the fence, but it was too unstable. But a double stack with interlocking piece help stablelize the rows. My rows look to be drying out very well and pretty quickly. I'll know more this fall and winter if this was a good game plan, but it appears to be currently. Good Luck.

Single rows can be unstable and that is why most folks stop at 4' high.

Status
Not open for further replies.