Good Book for Greenhouse Plans?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btuser

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2009
Principality of Pontinha
In the planning stages of a garden shed. I'd like the structure to serve double duty as a greenhouse. Has anyone built a greenhouse, and what would you do differently? Glass vs polycarbonate? I've got the idea of scrounging old glass sliders and trying to build a glass front with them (typical idea I know). I don't think I'll be into 4 season growing but you never know. Budget for the greenhouse is going to be around $1000. I'm not interested in a kit (I need to suffer for my projects).

Can anyone recommend an updated book? All I've found are old hippie scratch. I'm not going to "LIVE UNDER THE DOME!"

:) I have 4 small greenhouses joined together, and a separate shed.
The reason I have 4 is I got them cheap when a diy place closed down, but they have served well as I can keep them at dirrerent temperatures, one with doors almost closed for maximum humidity for growing cucumbers, and doors open for tomatoes etc.
One serves as a solar oven for kiln drying wood, it currently gets to 130f in there by day, plenty of ventilation helps the wood dry quite quickly.

I find a separate shed useful. If the greenhouses were attached to the shed, the light would tend to come from one side and the plants would tend to leana bit, just a thought on that.
One greenhouse I use for propagating, and have a home made electric hot bed made of soil heating cable in damp sand in an insulated wooden box. This is great for starting seedlings off, and has saved a fortune on buying stuff from nurseries. I raise so many tomato plants I sell the excess from a barrow every spring......

As to glass vs polycarbonate, glass is very long lasting and tends to be cheaper. Polycarbonate is vital if you have family who like ball games in the garden. Nothing more irritating than enjoying a barbie and someone kicks a ball through your greenhouse.

DIT greenhouses tend to look diy, if you want an aluminium one, it is probably cheaper to buy off the shelf than but the extrusions and cut them all to size, kits will include the glazing bars and door kits, all fiddly to make yourself. Unless you are a much better diy guy than me

Built 3 different ones. 1st one fiberglass, UV ate it after 12 years. 8 X 12
Sun Tuff polycarbonate (Home depot here) UV coating on one side. Best IMO
Different; build it bigger.
No plans, just built them.
1 for my location windy.
1 for a buddy, snow load.

Attachments

• GH4-4-11.jpg
    GH4-4-11.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 172
  • GF- GH5.jpg
    GF- GH5.jpg