Good deal, OK deal or not so good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adkjake

Burning Hunk
Jan 3, 2010
Adirondack High Peaks
Since buying the house in November, I've been seeing this ad run every week in the local weekly community newspapers.
Local guy offers to deliver a truckload of 12 foot harwood log lengths, that will yield approximately 9 face cords if cut to 16 inches. If my math is correct that
works out to 3 full cords. Cost $400

or he'll deliver you 5 face cords of 16 inch cut and split, $350. Both of these deliveries are for newly cut wood.

I asked around and several locals said he's a good guy, delivers what's promised, shows up when agreed upon.

Since I have the spare time, am still in good shape for a guy my age, and the basic tools to cut and split, I'm thinking of going for the log load. Called the guy this morning to talk
with him. The logs would come from trees he's dropped in the past month or two, mostly maple, ash, beech, black cherry and some birch.
I was concerned about the size of the logs and if I could handle them, told him I have a 16 inch Poulan, a 16 inch McCullough, a peevey, a come-a-long, and an ATV with a winch.
He said, shouldn't be a problem. might be a few logs that I'd have to cut from both sides to get through.

Thinking of ordering a load of logs. I'd much rather cut and split when it is 20 or 30* than when its 80*.

What do you veterans think?

Bar length tells me little to nothing in terms of what saws you've got. What models of the Poulan and Mac do you have? Both Polan and Mac made great saws at one time, but are mere shadows of their former selves.

If your models are newer ones, you might find yourself bogging in the cut with some of the medium to larger logs. Might want to factor in an additional $500 for a new saw in performing your cost-benefit.

The combination of fair price and positive reviews from more than one person sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it.

Although I like saws if you're going to cut one or two loads a year you don't need a $500 pro saw. A load is only going to be ~150 cuts. Even if you average 30 seconds a cut instead of 10 seconds a cut isn't going to make much difference in the overall processing time.

You probably have enough saw if you keep your chains sharp and out of the dirt. If your saw is too slow or difficult to start, you might want try one of these Cub Cadet 57cc saws http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002LVVB4A/ They are high end homeowner saws also sold under the Efco and John Deere names. Plenty of saw for what your doing and a lot less than $500.

Unless the logs are set in an unsafe manner and you roll one over yourself, you'll probably be fine. Take your time and be careful...get some PPE if you don't have any.

Unless your saws are crap you probably have all you're going to need...anyhting thats big enough in diameter to need you to cut from both sides is going to bog your saw down alot, so you might want to try to save these for later and work the smaller stuff to be sure you've got at least some of it cut, split and drying for next year...a short delay when you're cutting wood can turn into a few months way too quickly...at least it does for me.

Be careful, mind your work area and make sure those logs are set stably before you go clambering up on them. Be ready with a spare chain too...you'll eventualyl hit a ptach of dirt and dull your saw right up. Now is also an excellent time to become familiar wiht sharpening your own chains.

The Poulan is a Poulan Pro 16, bought last year. I used it all last spring/summer/fall to clear a site for a two car garage , and to thin out the rest of the lot. Took down a bunch of ash, maple and cottonwood trees, limbed and bucked them all. Probably ended up with 3 or 4 face cords when split. Mostly with the Poulan, it ran really well the whole time. Have used it on and off this fall and winter.

if the McCulloch was a car it would be considered a classic. My father bought it back in the early 1970s, used if for a number of years, and then it sat idle in his garden shed for many years. I acquired it when he passed away in 2006. I remember using that saw, but I couldn't get it to run. Took it to a local small engine guy, for $50 or $60, forget the exact amount of the bill, he went over it, cleaned up the fuel system, new filters and plug, sharpened the chain. Runs great, heavier than newer modern saws, but probably more power.

I'm not adverse to upgrading the saw arsenal. If this deal works out, I'd buy more loads. Besides the main domicile, also have a 3 season lake cottage with a woodstove.

I'd be less concerned with my ability to saw a log that required coming at it from both sides than I would be my ability to split it by hand. In my limited experience, splitting gets more difficult once rounds exceed ~20" diameter -- probably because you need to break out the wedges or use the "edge chipping" technique. I prefer to whale on the middle of a round with a maul and have it split cleanly in two with the first whack. It is just harder to do that with huge rounds. If you are a hand splitter, and it sounds like you are, I'd ask him if you could request the same volume but composed of smaller diameter logs.

Me too. But if that be the case, could always look to beg, borrow, cost share a power splitter.

I can't speak to the price since the price varies from area to area.

Generally the best "deal" when it comes to wood -- short of scrounging for free or having your own woodlot -- is to buy wood in tree lengths and process it yourself.

Local opinions are important . . . locals generally will tell you who is shady in terms of not delivering the agreed upon amount, good wood (i.e. vs. punky or with softwood thrown into the mix, etc.)

My personal feeling . . . if you go this route most definitely buy now and get cracking . . . the sooner you buck, split and stack, the better off you'll be with more seasoned wood.

Equipment . . . a 16-inch saw should handle most anything you're likely to come across . . . my buddy has a 16 inch bar and he processes some pretty large stuff . . . sometimes just needs to roll the log and make a cut on the back side . . . you should be fine . . . we're not talking about you needing a saw like the guys on Ax Men.

Biggest concern . . . be careful around the pile. Work slowly and take a break when you get a tired. The biggest concern is having the pile get unstable on you and roll down on to you if you're not paying attention.

Am doing so, logs will be delivered next Wed, and I'll get after them right away, at least on crappy ski days!!!

Mayhem suggested in a PM to lay down a few logs on the ground at the dump spot and hopefully the driver can dump
them on those logs, block the sides so they don't roll and should be easier to handle and will be off the ground.

I'm thinking of using my ATV and winch to pull logs out one at a time to buck. Either use the winch or a lever and fulcrum to get them
up off the ground.

I'm also going to invest in a full face shield, (already have a hard hat) and chaps.

KarlP said:
The combination of fair price and positive reviews from more than one person sounds like a good deal. I'd go for it.

Although I like saws if you're going to cut one or two loads a year you don't need a $500 pro saw. A load is only going to be ~150 cuts. Even if you average 30 seconds a cut instead of 10 seconds a cut isn't going to make much difference in the overall processing time.

You probably have enough saw if you keep your chains sharp and out of the dirt. If your saw is too slow or difficult to start, you might want try one of these Cub Cadet 57cc saws http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B002LVVB4A/ They are high end homeowner saws also sold under the Efco and John Deere names. Plenty of saw for what your doing and a lot less than $500.

For $80 more you can get a high quality long lasting better home owner/occasional use 56cc Stihl MS290 w/20" bar. That is MSRP, you might do better at your dealer.

Go with the 290!

"A Pair of 029 Super Farm Bosseses, is that enough s’s? " Imagine if you lived in Mississippi?

And I didn't think anyone ever caught that ;-)

Flatbedford said:
For $80 more you can get a high quality long lasting better home owner/occasional use 56cc Stihl MS290 w/20" bar. That is MSRP, you might do better at your dealer.

I'm not sure about higher quality or longer lasting. The Cub Cadet/John Deere/Efco saw has a magnesium crank case, a great reputation in Europe, and great online support from Baileys. All that adds up to a long lasting saw in my mind. However, if you can't/won't/don't do your own maintenance and repairs, like your Stihl dealer, or want resale value, the plastic crank case Stihl for $79.95 more is probably the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.